Chapter 4

The week goes by quickly. We've been able to enjoy much better weather since Monday's dark storm blew through the island. Friday comes almost too swiftly and I am nervous about spending most of the day in a booth at the festival. Fortunately, Brody Jensen's book signings have gone well. Even if I did geek out on him a little bit yesterday as I had him sign every book of his that I own. I even bought the copy of "The Snake"  that I was  reading, so I could have him write an inscription in the front cover. 

Today, I am supposed to meet Ethan in the gym of the middle school where they line up all the booths for the festival. The booth for the store is close to the back. I stride past the other aisles and admire all the good work that I see along the way. I recognize a lot of the local authors and wave at them as I make my way back to Ethan.

"Good morning, Sunshine!" Ethan smiles brightly as he stands to greet me.

Ethan is almost a foot taller than me, so I have to look up when he addresses me.

"Good morning, Moonshine" I reply when I get close to him. I love that I can be silly and he doesn't seem annoyed.

Ethan lets out a small laugh and then looks down at me as he wraps his arms around me. He squeezes me for a moment before releasing me. We have seen each other all week long at the store, but Fridays are our days to spend together.

Sitting down behind the scanty table, Ethan tells me about the morning so far, "There haven't been many people walking through yet, but there is a big book signing at 1 pm. So, I'm sure we'll get lots of visitors later."

"That's good. I kind of don't like it when it's really busy, anyway. Why don't I grab us some lunch at around 12:15 pm, so we can stay at the table the whole time it is active? What do you want for lunch?" These are the banal conversations that I loathe.

"Why don't we get some turkey burgers and sweet potato fries with brown sugar butter from Tasty's?" He suggests.

"Well, you can have a turkey burger, but I think I'd like the Veggie Wedgie instead. I'll just steal a couple of your sweet potato fries, if you don't mind." I respond with a wink. He won't let anyone else steal his food except me.

He changes tack, "Are we still getting together this afternoon?"

"Absolutely. Is it okay if I come over as soon as we get done here?" I inquire.

"Sure. Do you need to go home and get anything, Emily?" Ethan asks devotedly as he makes mental notes of his plans.

I turn to see him in seemingly deep thought, yet staring out at the people coming towards us. "No, I packed this morning, so I could come straight over." I tell him.

A family of five approaches our table. I guess it is time to get to work. Ethan, already prepared for their arrival, hands them each bookmarks and endows each of the kids with a handful of candy. The mom asks some questions about the store and the authors, as the dad attempts to manage the three kids.

After the family walks away, Ethan and I both let out a sigh of relief. The kids are just being kids. This year's festival is not as exciting for them, though. We don't have as many novelists that cater to the younger children's interests like we have had in years past. At least they are getting plenty of candy.

My cell phone rings. It's Jonathan. I'm glad I have a free moment.

"Good morning, babe. How is your day going so far?" I ask after answering the call.

"Pretty well, I guess." He sounds distracted. "Work is crazy busy for a Friday. I won't be getting done here until after 6 pm and then I promised some clients that I would go out for a drink this evening."