Secrets don't make friends

OMG! I am finally updating! Sorry it took so long folks. I started school last week and not long after I caught bronchitis. So now that I am no longer drowning in snot, I decided to get busy writing. By the way I met a cute little baby named Ezra today. How cool is that!? Anyways, without further due here it is, chapter nine....

I do not own The Phantom of the Opera.

And please feel free to VOTE and COMMENT....no pressure though :)

Ezra's POV

        "Ezra, she's been gone for two days!" I was sitting on Christine's bed picking at my nails. She'd been going on about the same thing for the past thirty minutes. "What if something happened? What if she's been kidnapped, or killed!?"

        "Christine, I'm sure she is perfectly fine. Remember what Madame Giry told us?" Kat had disappeared two days ago, after the gala. I understood why Christine was so upset, but I wasn't. Kat is smart and strong, she could handle herself and I admired her for it.

        Christine stomped a foot and sat down next to me, her arms folded across her chest. "But Kat doesn't have any friends on the north side of the city. She doesn't really have any friends at all."

That was true, Kat has never really been a people person. "Why would Giry lie to us?"

        "What if he took her? You and I both know that Madame Giry delivers his notes." She looked at me like it was some big secret, when in reality anyone with half a brain knew that Giry and The Phantom were acquaintances of some sort.

        With a smirk, I stood up and faced the girl. "What does that have to do with Kat?" I headed towards the door, it was people like Christine that had caused me to leave Venice. They were all so fake. Not that Christine was fake. She was just naturally annoying, she always has been from what I can tell. Too pure, too good. That's why I became such good friends with Kat, she was different, she knew what it felt like to hurt.

        "Look, Ezra..." Christine grabbed my arm, causing me to stop. "I'm just worried about her, she is all I have left." Her voice perfectly mirrored the helplessness in her eyes. 

        I sighed. "Alright. Would it make you feel better if we looked for her?" Why is this girl so damn persistent? She knows I hate that. In fact, she knows more about me than I'd like. I'm not sure how, but she had managed to figure me out rather quickly. Not a week after I had started working here, she confronted me. She asked me question after question while I struggled for answers. It didn't take long before she told me I was a liar, which I was and still am. I knew she wouldn't quit until I told her the truth, or at least part of it. I've finally found a safe place, a place where the past cannot reach me. The last thing I needed was her exposing me. Taking risks was something I could not do, so I played nice.

"Thank you." She gave me a sweet smile, but I knew that we were both thinking the same thing.

        "Okay then, how about you look downstairs and I'll stay up here." I didn't really want to form a search party, but it was the only way that she'd leave me alone.

        "Alright, we meet back here in a hour." She opened the door and sped over to the stairs. Once she was out of sight, I headed in the direction of the prima donna room. That was last place I'd seen Kat, so I could at least tell Christine that I tried without fully lying.

        It was around five in the evening and the sun was already setting. I hate winter. I hate being stuck inside and freezing half to death. The halls were growing darker, and colder. I decided to quit dragging my feet, not wanting to catch some kind of illness. At the pace I was now going, it only took me a few minutes to reach the room. Before I opened the door I looked over my shoulder, making sure no one was around. The hall was empty so I crept in, closing the door quietly behind me. Carlotta wasn't exactly fond of anyone being near her room, especially the 'help'. If I was caught sneaking around in here, I'd have hell to pay.