Ghosts of the past

I didn't really want to have to stretch this into two chapters, but it appears that's what happened. I didn't expect this one to be so long...

I don't own The Phantom of the Opera. And do remember, voting and commenting is strongly appreciated!

Kat's POV

        The next day went by in a blur. Madame Giry excused me from rehearsals because of my shoulder, although she said it was because of my head. I wasn't sure why she was keeping secrets for me. From what I could tell I'd never done a thing for her, but I wasn't about to ask questions. 

        I stuck around to watch the ballerinas for a while, but eventually had to leave due to a major headache. The music was loud and Madame Giry was even louder.

        I decided to go back to my room and lie down. The opera house was quiet, other than the noise from rehearsals. I managed to, somewhat, remember my way to the dorms. It wasn't long before I had my face buried in pillows. 

        I hadn't been laying down but ten minutes when Ezra barged in. "What are you doing in bed?" 

        I lifted my head and groaned, then fell back into my pillow. 

        He cleared his throat and laughed at the same time. "Didn't sleep well, huh?"

        "Nuh uh." I'd spent most of the night tossing and turning. The room had been freezing cold and my shoulder was unbearably sore.

        Ezra chuckled and sat on the end of the bed. "Well, I was planning on going into town today and since you're...umm..." He paused, trying to find the right word. 

        I sat up and slumped my shoulders. "Blah, that's what I'm am. Bleck." I've never been a morning person and it was before noon.

        "Yes, that." He raised an eyebrow and continued. "Anyways, I thought you might want to accompany me?"

        My face lit up. Finally! I've been dying to see the rest of Paris. "Of course!" Okay, that may have been a bit much. I cleared my throat and lowered my voice. "I mean, sure. Just, uh, let me change first."

        Ezra's eyebrow went back up for a moment, then turned to his usual cocky grin. "Alright, I'll meet you in the lobby in...", he pulled out an expensive looking pocket watch, "ten minutes."

        Ten minutes later we were walking the streets of Paris. It was cold and windy but definitely worth it, although I did wish I would have pulled my hair back. It was blowing in at least twenty different directions and blinding me in the process. I followed Ezra, not really sure where we were headed. We eventually stopped in front of a small store. There wasn't a sign but from looking in the windows I could tell it was some sort of pawn shop. 

        "Wait here. I'll be right back." Ezra said before he slipped through the narrow door. 

        Weird. I sat down on a bench that faced the shop. I watched Ezra walk up to the counter and begin speaking with the cashier. About a minute later the man lead him to the back where he disappeared through a door. Even weirder. I figured he would be a while so I walked to the small bookstore that I had spotted across the street. Before we left I had grabbed my purse, at least I'm pretty sure it's mine. It had been hanging on my headboard and contained numerous things that only I would carry. 

        I stopped in front of the door and started digging through my bag, hoping I had some money. It was small so it didn't take me long to find the little coin purse nestled in the bottom. It felt light so I dumped it into my hand, not expecting change to fly everywhere.