Hero

"It's what we do," Steve muttered, as Tony questioned him. "We're the heroes." 

"Hero? Who have you saved?" Tony asked, looking up at him. The others froze around them and Bucky had an idea of where this was going. Steve was quiet for a moment, looking down at Tony. "What? Afraid to admit I'm right?" 

"No, you are right. Without the serum, I wouldn't be here. I'd be dead. I couldn't even save my best friend. You're right, Tony, I'm not a hero." Steve turned and walked downstairs to the training room. Tony felt kind of guilty as the words Steve said went through his mind. Bucky sighed. 

"And I thought I was bad," he muttered. "I'll go talk to him." Bucky turned and walked downstairs to find his friend obliterating a punching bag. Bucky walked over to him and stopped a few feet back. 

"Steve," he said, softly. Steve stopped and sighed, resting his head on the bag. Bucky walked up to him, setting his hand on his back. "You know, I don't blame you for what happened. No one does. And you've saved tons of people since becoming an Avenger. You're a hero, no matter what you think." 

"I'm not, Bucky. I couldn't even save myself." He closed his eyes and a few tears rolled down his cheeks. Bucky pulled his friend into his arms, gently rubbing his back. 

"It's okay, Steve. You didn't do anything wrong." Steve sighed as he stepped away from Bucky. 

"I'm gonna be upstairs." Bucky watched as his friend walked out of his room and away from him. Steve walked up to his room and closed the door, going to sit on his bed. 

He sighed as he put his head in his hands. He couldn't save himself. He didn't save Bucky. He didn't save the country. He didn't save anyone. Even Tony thought he was a failure. And he believed him. 

Awhile later, there was a soft knock at the door and Tony peered his head in to see Steve sitting in the same position, head in his hands. 

"Steve," he said, walking in. He sat down next to the Super Soldier and sighed. "I shouldn't have said those things, but you shouldn't have either. You've saved millions of people. And without my suit, well, I'm just a smart idiot. You're a way better hero than I am." Steve didn't respond. "Steve," Tony prodded, getting worried. The soldier chuckled and looked up. 

"I never thought you'd ever apologize to me." Tony rolled his eyes. 

"Maybe I won't next time." 

"Sure."