00 | f a m i l y

{G} reen eyes. Bright, innocent, green eyes. They were every hue of the forest, burning with curiosity.

That was what Remus Lupin saw as soon as he opened the door. A pair of eyes so eerily similar to a certain someone, for a second his heart stopped and he took a sharp intake of breath. Painful memories rushed back from the barrier he had so recently created.

"What—"

"This is their daughter," an all-too-familiar voice told him from his doorstep.

Remus felt his voice choke up, "Why did you bring her here? Where's Harry?"

"You are her Godfather, Remus. Harry is with the Dursley's."

"What? You split them up?" Remus said angrily.

"You were there, Remus. You know we had to."

Remus deflates, "I know," he says regrettably, "but it doesn't make it any better."

"They entrusted her to you."

"I can't," those two words hurt him far worse than any unforgivable curse, "I could hurt her. I- I could kill her. She's not safe with me."

"Right now, she's not safe with anyone. Would you rather I hand her over to Lucius?"

"Never," the response came immediately. Remus sighed, there was nothing in the world he wanted more than to raise his best friend's child. But what if something happens?

At that moment the child smiled, and held out a tiny hand. This small gesture of trust breaks down the last of his reluctance. "I'll do it," Remus finally says, and stares dead straight into the man's eyes, "but you must take her on those nights,"

"Of course," he replies and hands the fragile child to Remus. The man takes his leave, disappearing as quickly as he came.

As Remus awkwardly holds a baby for the first time, the realization that someone so small and pure is now his responsibility hits him. Unconsciously, his grip on her tightens, and he whispers promises to the people above that he will care for this child.

She is unafraid, he notes, as the child wraps her hand around his finger, giggling.

Through this simple indication of trust, a bond was formed between this babe and this hurt man, a bond that would not break even when they would leave for another world.

Remus smiled down at her,

I will take care of you.

I will protect you.

As long as I am alive, you will be loved and cherished.

You will grow up to be the greatest of them all, Alexandra Potter.