01 | c h r i s t m a s

{F} our years ago.

"REMUS!" I cried out as a jumped on his bed, "It's Christmas! Merry Christmas!"

"Just five more minutes," he grumbled, pulling the covers up to cover his face.

"I'm going to open the presents without you," I warned him.

"Hm," Remus remarked as he rolled over in bed.

"I made hot chocolate..." I said in a sing-song voice.

Remus' eyes slowly opened, squinting due to the light in the room, "Chocolate?" he muttered.

"Chocolate." I confirmed with a single nod.

Remus dragged himself out of bed and scooped me up. "You're getting pretty heavy," he chuckled.

"Presents! Here we come!" I declared, raising a finger to point us to our destination.

I knew, back then, that Remus wasn't the most well off. Due to his 'special condition', he couldn't obtain a secure job. But, in our little cottage, I was happy. I tried my best to help him, and I could see it pained him to not be able to afford things for me.

We got to the small tree in the living room, and I dove straight for the presents while Remus did the same to the mug of hot chocolate.

I opened my present, and I saw that Remus had gotten me a new deck of exploding snaps and a book I've been wanting for weeks. "Thank you, Remus!" I exclaimed. I rushed to get my gift for him.

"This is for you," Attached to my gift was a handmade card. Remus eagerly opened the present, to reveal a rumpled wolf plushie. One button eye was higher than another, the legs were mismatched, and the whiskers almost falling apart.

"Do you like it? I made it myself!" I said eagerly, searching his face for approval.

Remus smiled, "I love it. Are you sure you made this on your own? It's so well-made," he said, entirely serious, "I think I'm going to keep it forever."

"Of course I did! It took a long time, too! And, I met someone when I was getting the stuff," I proudly announced, "He was pretty cool."

Remus tensed ever so slightly, his eyes narrowing. "You met a boy?"

"No, more like saw. His dad was kind of scary, though," I said while climbing into Remus' lap.

"Oh really?" Remus asked, "Why was the dad scary?"

"He just was. He had super long hair, too," I said enviously, touching my own chopped hair.

Remus chuckled, "Jealous much?"

"His hair was amazing! I have a right to be jealous!" I laughed. "So, I was wondering," I fretted nervously.

"Hm?" Remus asked while observing his Christmas present.

"Maybe- maybe this year, I could meet Harry?" I asked timidly, "I mean, he must be awfully lonely without me."

Remus sighed, "We talked about this, Lexi. Harry wants to see you, very much, but there is a time for everything."

I pouted, "It's unfair. No one I know is split up from their family. Why are we the only ones who are separated?"

Remus hugged me tightly, "You and your brother are very special—"

"Maybe, I don't want to be special! I just want to see Harry!" I pushed Remus away and ran upstairs. The only thing on my mind was that another Christmas passed by without my brother. Year after year, will I ever see him?

Through my tears and rage, I didn't hear Remus say quietly, "Me too."