15 | f r o g e y e s {d.m}

{Draco's POV}

As the familiar feeling of rage subsided, guilt began to claw its way up. The things I said to Lexi... I had to go find her.

The look on her face was one of hurt, something I couldn't bear to see. But I had been the one to cause it. It was my fault, and I knew that she was probably lost right now.

It had been an outburst of fear. She thought I was wrong. What if she left me for it? I scoffed, well great job preventing that, Draco.

Rushing through the hall, I bumped into another first year. "Watch it," I growled, having neither the time or patience.

"Aren't you Lexi's friend?" he asked.

"What the hell do you want?" I turned to realize it was Harry Potter. The boy who lived. Embarrassment and shame twisted together in my stomach, I had just made his sister cry, I didn't know how to answer the question.

I've always imagined what would happen when Lexi finally got reunited with her brother. I imagined us walking through the halls together.

"Did you see her?" My priority right now was getting Lexi back.

"No," Harry said, confused.

I pushed past him, running to the towers. She might've gone there, first.

I came back to the common room, out of breath. Pansy was sitting on the couch.

"Parkinson!" I said, between breaths, "Have you seen Lexi?"

"Little Potter?" She tilted her head to the side, thinking, "No."

I wilted, she wasn't back in the common room yet. Plopping down on the couch, I waited.

After about forty minutes, I heard a painfully familiar voice, "Salazar." It was her.

"Lexi?" I jumped up, my mind spinning at what to say. Her eyes were puffy from crying, but now it looked like she was ready to kill something.

"Where were you?" I asked. She walked past me, determined to get to her common room.

"I'm serious, Lexi." I tried again, desperate. I couldn't lose her.

She ignored me, her bottom lip trembling ever so little. I wanted to apologize, I wanted everything to go back as it was.

If I said sorry then she'd forgive me, right?

I started to form the words in my mouth until I heard someone coming down the stairs. My father's words echoed in my head, traitor, traitor, traitor.

"Fine then, run away, Potter!" I snarled. She flinched, then began to walk even faster.

I cursed myself, I had made it even worse. I glared at the second year who came down, channeling my anger into him. What the hell was I going to do?

I had lost her.

I shook my head, it wasn't too late. I could do it tomorrow. I could still fix this.

The atmosphere was awkward. I didn't know where to start. And God knows where all of my courage went. She had just come back with Snape and I was busy trying to figure out what he had said to her. She looked ecstatic.

Lost in my thoughts, I accidentally bumped my hand into hers.

"Ouch!" She exclaimed, caressing her hand. I wanted to kick myself.

"Mr. Malfoy, accompany Miss Potter to the infirmary," Snape said.

Finally, a chance! Snape was actually useful for something.

Potter tried to intervene, but I blurted out immediately, "Of course, Professor," in the most casual way I could manage it.

I rushed out the door, heart beating. How was I going to apologize?

We walked to Madame Pomfrey in silence. I kept sneaking glances at her, and her hand. It was swelling up.

We went into the infirmary, but Madame Pomfrey wasn't there, probably on her break.

"What do you want, Malfoy?" she said, irritated.

I'm sorry.

"Just wondering why you're such a blundering idiot, Potter."

She looked taken aback, "Excuse me?"

I reached out to grab her wrist, "Can't manage from getting hurt, can you?"

She broke out of my grasp, "May I remind you, Malfoy, whose arm bumped into me?" she said in a sickly sweet tone. She was pretty adorable when she used that voice.

What the hell are you thinking, Malfoy?

I grabbed her arm again, pulling her to a bed. "Sit."

Jerking her arm away from me, she faced away from me, plopping down. I scavenged the room until I found a cabinet full of bandages.

"Come here, Potter."

"I can do it myself," she said, glaring.

"No, you can't." I scoffed.

She had always been clumsy, and there were scars on her knees, elbows, shoulder, and even on her hip to prove it.

We used to run around the hills sometimes when we were over at Lupin's, a nice change of pace from the straight-laced atmosphere we had at Malfoy Manor.

Whenever she tripped and had gotten scraped, we had gone stumbling back. I was tasked with trying to stop her tears. I usually managed it by the time we were near the cottage. As soon as she stepped through the door, all my fruits of labor would vanish. She would jump into Remus' arms and start bawling all over again. I would go find the bandages as Remus calmed her down.

As she had grown older, she got hurt less often. However, every few days, minor injuries popped out of nowhere. It was like bad luck was stuck on her. We never got through a year without Potter spraining an ankle.

Let me wrap it so it doesn't get any worse before Madame Promfery comes. Is what I wanted to say. What came out instead was, "You already have plenty of scars, Potter. Fancy another one to add to your collection?"

She rolled her eyes, "Get out of here, Malfoy." She laid down on the bed, turning the other way, "Go away."

"Such an idiot, you know that?" I sighed, pulling up a stool. I started to wrap her hand, trying to be as gentle as possible.

"Oi, didn't I tell you to scat?" she said, attempting to pull her arm away.

"Just shut up."

"You're a git, Malfoy." she yawned.

"I know," I whispered to myself.