02 | p a r t y

{T} wo years ago.

Remus had dragged me to a ball hosted by some extremely rich people, saying that we had to go because important people would be there. He seemed pretty uncomfortable with it himself.

When I asked him why we specifically had to go to this one—because we usually reject all the other requests— he muttered something about a stuck-up headmaster. Apparently, I was some kind of big shot, and since I was now old enough to talk to people without sounding like a total idiot, I had to go.

___

The estate was gigantic. "Remus, how many people live here?" I asked, my eyes still glued to the manor.

"Three, I think. If you don't count the house elves," Remus pondered.

"Three?" I gasped, "What do they do with all that space? Play Qudditch indoors?"

"It's still not big enough to fit all of their egos," Remus muttered, fixing his dress robes.

I raised an eyebrow, "Someone's salty," I said in a sing song voice. "Let's go in."

Remus bowed playfully, "Of course, m'lady."

I trailed behind Remus as we entered, the manor was intimidating, with looming shadows and dark corners.

"It's Lupin. The Potter should be with him." I heard a voice in the crowd say. Murmurs of "Potter" and "the girl who lived" echoed around the room.

I hid behind Remus' tall frame, afraid. The people inside looked as if their earrings cost more than my house. I gulped, suddenly wishing I was safe at home.

"Hey, it's okay," Remus whispered, giving my hand a squeeze, "Don't hide from them, show them how strong you are.

I reluctantly came out from behind him and held my head up high. If I couldn't find my confidence then I could just fake it, right?

I could feel people's eyes on me, following me with every move I made. It was there, at age nine, when I realized my situation.

While my brother was sheltered from this world, I was immersed in it. I got to bathe in fame. But with it came scrutiny, a thousand criticisms for the way I spoke, the way I dressed, the way I lived.

This party was just a test to see how I would do in the eyes of society— if I would be everything they expected of me.

The worst part was, I didn't even deserve it. Fame is a product of success, and success that of hard work. What did I do to receive this treatment?

I simply lived.

And now I had to find a way to live up to my name.

I talked to nearly everyone, my cheeks sore from constantly smiling. My behavior was being reflected on Remus, he was under almost as much surveillance as I was.

After at least two hours, I slipped away to find the bathroom. My smile slipped from my face and I massaged my aching cheeks. I passed by multiple rooms but stopped when I saw light.

I shouldn't pry in someone else's house. Keep walking.

I took another step, but stopped once more. The light was just so inviting.

Screw it.

I opened the door, and a warm breeze greeted me. I was outside. Looking around, I noticed I was in a garden, and an extravagant one at that.

"Hey!" a sharp voice exclaimed, "Why are you in my garden?"

Crap.

"I'm so sorry! I got lost," I apologized, my smile back in business.

"Get out." A boy came into view. He had platinum blond hair and striking grey eyes. He looked around my age.

"That's a bit rude isn't it?" I asked, my smile still prominent.

"What's rude is that you intruded in my garden," he retorted, venom clear in his voice.

He did have a point there. I sighed, "Please let me stay."

The boy looked suspicious, "Why? Don't you like the party?"

I looked him over, wondering if I could trust him. I sighed, I was already in hot water, anyways. "I hate it," I whined, my posture deteriorating, my expression seeping into a scowl, "The constant smiling, and the way they stare at you? It feels like—"

"You're drowning," he finished.

"Yeah," I muttered, looking at him in a new light.

"You are?" he asked.

"Lexi," I answered, careful not to say my last name, I had endured enough surprise to last a lifetime.

"Malfoy. Draco, Malfoy."