04 | s u r p r i s e

{I} slipped back into the party, looking for Remus.

He spotted me immediately, "Where were you?" he whispered, "You've been gone for at least two hours!"

"Sorry," I said, cringing. "I went outside."

"Outside?" Remus sighed, "Never mind that, where did you get that dress?"

"I had to borrow it, my other dress is a bit... ruined."

As Remus opened his mouth to no doubt ask why, a woman with raven hair and yellow streaks came over, with a quick nod at Remus.

"Ms. Potter, the main attraction of the party," she smiled kindly. "I'm Narcissa, let me know if you need anything."

"Hello," I smiled back, "I wouldn't say the main attraction, I mean, the food here is quite wonderful."

She chuckled, "It is, isn't it." Beside her, a man with extravagant long hair appeared, holding a rather fancy looking cane. He glanced coldly at Remus. "Lupin," he greeted.

"Malfoy." Remus said in the same tone. These must be Draco's parents.

His icy gaze turned to me, "Ah, Ms. Potter, how are you enjoying the party?" His actions seemed welcoming, but his tone sang a different tune. His eyes were stuck on my scar, located on the left side of my lip. It was as if he were a cat watching it's prey right before it struck. "Lucius Malfoy," he introduced. "It's a pleasure."

"I'm enjoying it very much, thank you."

"We would like to introduce you to our son, I believe he is the same age as you." Draco?

Indeed, my new friend emerged from his parents' shadows.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," he said, confidence striking to the roof.

"A pleasure to meet you as well." I raised an eyebrow.

Lucius interrupted, "You two will go into school soon, which house are you aiming for?"

"Gryffindor, mostly. But, I don't mind the other houses." Remus had told me that he and my parents were all placed in Gryffindor. I could tell he didn't want to seem biased, but it leaked through sometimes when he was reminiscing his school days. The obvious disapproval toward Slytherin was apparent.

Personally, I didn't mind Slytherin, I knew I was more cunning rather than brave. But, if I got into a house that my parents despised, what did that say about me? And what would Remus think?

It was a constant worry that I had tried to squash down for some time now. As the time for Hogwarts grew closer, it kept festering until it felt as if I couldn't breathe. A weight was pressing against my chest and I was desperate to let it out.

The sorting ceremony was something I was both dreading and anticipating.

Just two more years.

"Gryffindor?" Lucius expressed clear disapproval.

"And your second choice?" Draco pressed.

I snuck a glance at Remus, he looked agitated by just being in close proximity with the Malfoys.

"I would have to say... Slytherin," I muttered. I definitely could have lied. It came pretty naturally to me, actually. But, I just had to get it out. I wanted to be in Slytherin. Was that so bad?

Remus gave me a surprised look, and I knew we would have a conversation later.

"I see." Lucius smirked. "Well, I hope we meet again, Miss Potter."

I really don't, you're intimidating the heck outta me.

"Of course, Mr. Malfoy. I'm sure there will be plenty of chances for us to meet." I smiled politely, hoping that this would be enough to satisfy him.

With a wink, Draco said, "I'll see you later."

As they strutted away, Narcissa leaned in. "I hope you weren't too overwhelmed," she said kindly.

"Not at all," I exclaimed, laughing it off. "As a matter of fact, I think Draco and I might be friends."

"How nice to hear," she chuckled. "Enjoy the rest of the party." As she turned to leave, she whispered, "I love your dress."

Oh.