14 | f r e e m a n

" {T} hey're brainwashed!" Snape exclaimed, not meeting my eyes. "Sirius Black brainwashed them."

"Professor!" I begged, "Please!"

"Brainwashed?" Harry scoffed, "He's lying!"

"Please Minister, Draco and I were hiding outside the shack the entire time remember? We didn't follow Professor Snape inside. I watched him confront Sirius Black, but he got caught in a misfired spell. After he was unconscious, I saw Peter Pettigrew. He was an unregistered animagus."

"I can't follow the words of some school girl when Sirius Black is the most notorious criminal in the Wizarding World!" Fudge exclaimed, shaking his head.

"Yes, notorious for killing our parents. Do you really think Harry and I would be here, trying to save him, if we didn't truly believe he was innocent?"

"As Snape said, he must have brainwashed you."

"Minister, if you really think about it, even if Sirius Black is a talented wizard, he wouldn't have had enough time to brainwash all four-six of us, if you count Professor Lupin and Ron." Hermione stated.

"The only logical solution would be that he brainwashed Professor Snape because he knew that a professor's words would hold more accountability and would probably convince more people," I finished as Hermione nodded along.

I winced as another headache came in from all my big brain thinking.

"You okay?" Draco asked again, rubbing my back comfortingly.

"Brain goes brrr." I replied under my breath with a smirk. I nodded towards the door as Hermione started to speak. "Do you think you can bring Mr. Malfoy here?"

Lucius should be on the grounds since he was here for the execution. Hopefully, he hadn't left. Draco didn't question what I said and slipped out the door while all the heat was on Hermione.

"How do you know that Professor Snape wasn't brainwashed himself, to confuse the Ministry, when that's exactly what Death eaters are precisely good at? We can show you proof if you can't take our word for it." Hermione said, crossing her arms defiantly.

I narrowed my eyes, "But at that point, I would be questioning both your integrity and your authority."

Harry looked at me uncertainty, and I could tell we were both scared that they would call our bluff.

"What?" The tips of Fudge's ears turned red, and he looked ready to blast me off with some spell.

"How can you say that you can't trust us after Harry and I, with several of our friends, almost died by Voldemort's hands, not once, but twice. Nonetheless at school, where we're supposed to be protected?" I looked up innocently at the minister, "Not to mention if Pettigrew is trying to bring the Death Eaters back, they could also be trying to usurp the power of the Ministry. It wouldn't look good at all! I can see the headlines," I brandished my arms dramatically over my head, "'Minister allows Deatheaters to regroup? What's next? The next Wizarding War?'"

"I-" Fudge stuttered.

"Lexi and I have been quiet about our near-death occurrences, but what will happen if we go public and parents start to complain?" Harry asked.

"Hogwarts would be no more!" Fudge claimed triumphantly.

"Exactly!" I said dramatically, "Without Hogwarts and Professor Dumbledore around, who do you think the Death eaters are going to target next? Are you really going to take that chance, Minister? Can you give us the benefit of the doubt, just this once? I've been to many of the parties hosted by you and your lovely wife. We know each other well enough to know that I'd never make something like this up and question your position after all the speeches I've made favoring your campaign." The air hung heavily after the last sentence and its hidden threat.

The door crashed open, banging loudly on the wall. Draco and his father walked in. Draco's face was flushed red, and he wouldn't look me in the eyes.

"Mr. Malfoy! How have you been?" I asked, "We had a really scary encounter today."

"So I've heard." He said, staring at Snape with contempt. "Yes, I heard that you were brainwashed?"

I blinked. Lucius was... supporting us? Why? Hermione and Harry looked equally as confused. Weren't Lucius and Snape buddy-buddies?

"Well-uh-yes, by Peter Pettigrew."

"Also, congratulations Miss Potter. I heard about the news from my son." he smirked, "You two make a fine couple."

I gaped, my face heating up, "I'm sorry, what?"

"Draco wouldn't stop talking about you. He says you plan to come over for Christmas?"

"Uh- um. Yes, if that's alright." In truth, I had actually never made plans, but Lucius didn't have to know about that. I side glanced at Draco, who refused to look up and had trained his eyes to his shoes.

Lucius turned to Fudge, "Miss Potter is practically part of our family, there's no reason for her to lie. Even if the person at hand is..." his face turned to one of disgust, "...Sirius Black."

The Minister's face was pale and sweat-riddled, and it must have been difficult for him to come to a decision when everyone was yelling this and that.

Lucius' final intimidating stare must have pushed him over, however, as he relented. "Fine!" Fudge threw up his hands, "We'll put Sirius Black under house arrest until we can hold his trial!"

Harry, Hermione, and I erupted into cheers. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Fudge stormed out with Snape quick on his heels trying to change his mind.

"Thank you so much, Mr. Malfoy! I'll be investing big in your Christmas present this year!" I said, and before he could squeeze in another word, Harry and I swiftly ran out of the room with Draco in tow.

We sprinted to the tower where Sirius was temporarily imprisoned, "SIRIUS!" Harry and I yelled.

We opened the door to see him paler than ever, slumped over in his seat. His face was caked with dirt, and dried blood mangled the rags he wore.

Harry shook him awake, "Sirius, wake up! Wake up!"

He jumped alert, his face grim. "Harry...? Lexi? What are you doing here? Goddamnit, I must be hallucinating."

My mouth broke into a huge smile, "You can stay!" Harry and I said at the same time.

"Oh! And here!" I gave him some pieces of chocolate that Madame Pomfrey had given me.

He looked blankly at us until barking out a surprised laugh. "You lot- you lot really pulled it off!"

Sirius stumbled, sitting down on a windowsill, repeating the words to himself in disbelief. Harry and I looked at each other a little bit uneasily.

"But, there is a catch." Harry said, "You have to be under house arrest until the trial."

Sirius did not look like he cared in the slightest, "SIRIUS BLACK IS A FREE MAN!" he threw his head back and roared into the night sky.

Harry looked elated, and while he and Sirius exchanged some words, I reached for Draco's hand.

"Thank you, Draco," I said, resting my head on his shoulder.

"Anytime."

"So... Christmas?" I asked playfully, seeing his ears turn red.

He laughed nervously, "You don't actually have to come if you don't want to, I just had to think of something to tell Father-"

"Well of course I want to come." I said, poking his side, "But I think I should spend some time with Sirius and everyone. Ya' know, family reunion and all."

In the end, I decided to spend half of my summer catching up with my family and the other at Draco's because I didn't want to seem ungrateful to Mr. Malfoy's surprising generosity.