chapter two - hogwarts letter

On her 11th birthday, Bellatrix stood at the windowsill in her room, waiting for her Hogwarts letter. Her parents had told her quite a bit about the school and she was quite eager to finally go there. She had dreamed for days about the moment when she would open up the cream coloured envelope which contained her Hogwarts acceptance letter.

Although Bellatrix had showed accidental magic from a young age, she had a small fear at the back of her head that she might possibly, god forbid not, be a Squib.

Her parents had told her about the four different houses. There was Hufflepuff which was filled with goody two shoes and Mudbloods and the useless and spare ones. There was no way in hell she'd go there. Ravenclaw was okay - it would just prove she was smart. Gryffindor was filled to the brim with blood traitors, muggle lovers and Mudbloods. Her parents had already said they would disown her if she ever got into Gryffindor. The only other option was Slytherin. The only decent house her father had said. Every single Black had been in Slytherin and she wasn't about to change it.

She looked away from the window and turned to her younger sisters. They both looked at her with sad, big eyes. How was she going to go to Hogwarts without them? All three of them were as thick as thieves and she wondered if she could ever leave them behind.

"One more year Andy," she said "Then you can come to Hogwarts and we can be together!"

"But that's a whole year" Andromeda whined "You'll forget about us,"

"Of course I won't," Bellatrix said kindly.

"Yeah and then you can just leave me alone with Mother and Father!" Narcissa snapped "Andy will go to Hogwarts in a year and then you'll leave me alone! I think I'll simply die,"

"Cissy, I'm sorry but you'll have to come to Hogwarts the year after me. And of course you won't die! But at least you'll have Madam Francine to teach you till then." Andromeda told her.

"You know I hate Madam Francine!" she hissed in return.

"At least for now you have Andy. I have to go to school without you both! Andromeda is lucky, she'll always have one of us to stay with" Bellatrix said.

"Bellatrix, your father and I want to see you in the study" her mother Druella called from somewhere in the distance.

Bellatrix looked at her sisters in shock and fear. The study was a place where she could count the amount of times she'd been in there on one hand. That one occasion she had been, her father had caned her because she had talked to a Muggle outside her house. She could still see the tiny scar where the holly and gold cane had striked her palm. No one ever dared to go in there without his invitation. Not even her own mother. It was her father's domain.

She slowly walked towards the mahogany door with the elaborate snake handle that she so detested. She gently pushed the door and walked inside. Both her parents looked up and studied at her. She had half a mind to run off back to her room. But she didn't. She was not a coward. She lifted her head up and sat in the velvet chair in front of the desk where her father sat solemnly. Her mother stood towards the right of him looking like a respectable wife that she was meant to be.

"You will be going to Hogwarts this September" he started solemnly. "I wish for you to be in Slytherin like the rest of the family. Don't come back to this home if you are sorted into any other house." Cygnus Black said gravely.

"Unfortunately, Dumbledore still accepts those filthy little Mudbloods into the school" Druella Black said with an expression that looked like she had dung under her nose.

"You are not to talk to them. They are filth. I will not have you ruin our reputation just by talking to them," he said solemnly  "I expect you to have impeccable grades. You are the eldest and need to set an example to your sisters. Merlin knows they need help. You are dismissed,"

She got out of the soft chair and walked out of the room. As soon as she left, she was immediately bombarded with questions from her sisters.

"What did they want?" Andromeda asked quickly.

"What did they say?" Narcissa said with eyes as big as saucers.

"None of your business" Bellatrix replied curtly. She did not know where this arrogance was coming from but she liked the power she held over them. She looked at Narcissa and saw she was on the brink of tears. She wasn't used to being snapped at by her Bella.

Bellatrix bolted up to her room to see if her envelope had arrived. And there it sat. Just a plain cream coloured letter with the red Hogwarts seal. She rushed to the window sill and picked it up. The address said:

Bellatrix E. Black,
8 Sacred Street
Oxford

She was almost overflowing with excitement. She quickly opened the letter and read it. She was going to Hogwarts! She smiled widely and ran downstairs and hugged Narcissa and Andromeda.

"Bellatrix! Molesting someone like that is not lady-like. Don't ever let me see you do that again" her mother snapped

"Sorry Mother, I was just excited!" she said eagerly. Nothing could ruin her greatmood today.

"Hmmph. Don't do that again" she said with her voice full contempt and walked out gracefully.

She looked at Andy and Cissy and gave them another hug.

"I'm going to Hogwarts!" She whispered loudly.

"Yes, yes it's all very good. Now you have to promise you'll write to us everyday!" Andromeda said exasperatedly

"I'll try"

Narcissa gave her a stern look.

"Fine I promise?"

(a/n I hope you liked this chapter! :)