chapter nine - christmas plans

It was fair to say that Druella was not pleased with the plans for Christmas. But she could do nothing, and dutifully added Orion, Walburga, Sirius and Regulus to the Christmas guest list which was already populated by her own family, the Rosiers. After a few days of planning, Druella had taken to muttering darkly about her in-laws.

Currently, she was placing a wet cloth on her forehead because she supposedly had a headache from planning Christmas dinner. Cygnus was in his study as usual, Andromeda was doing work for Madam Francine and God knows where Narcissa was. Bellatrix sat in her room listening to the rain gently pelting on her glass window.

Her parents had decided that now as she was attending Hogwarts, she was to sit on the adult table with them and attend the pure blood balls and parties. She absolutely detested sitting on the adult table with the china plates, goblin made silver cutlery and crystal goblets. Usually, the entire affair was spent in total silence with Druella admiring her perfectly manicured nails, Cygnus scowling at everything and everyone and Bellatrix picking at her food.

Bellatrix left her room and walked down into the living room and saw Narcissa trying to sit on her mothers lap. Their mother pushed her of irritably.

"Not now Narcissa," Drulla said. Now that she thought about it, Bellatrix didn't think their mother had ever let any of her children sit on her lap. "Mother has a headache. Bellatrix put some of your Hogwarts education to use. If we have 26 people, how many turkeys should we get?"

Bellatrix did not know, but obediently guessed. She knew that all the ladies would not eat that much - no matter how hungry (all respectable ladies should eat less), so she tried for a low number.

"Maybe three or four?"

Druella sucked on her quill but then immediately stopped because it was not ladylike. "Four may be too much, but then again, three may be too little, especially if Walburga's there. Too much is better than too little and the men always like a good meal. We'll have six."

"Six?" Bellatrix repeated, surprised.

"Yes, six," she nodded to herself and wrote it down. "You must eat properly Bellatrix, you ate far too much last night! Do you want to end up like aunt Walburga?"

"No I didn't! What's wrong with eating how much I want?" Bellatrix said defensively.

Druella got up and slapped her hard across her face. There was a tiny cut where Druella's ring had hit her. "Don't talk back to me Bellatrix! My word is order and you will accept that!"

Bellatrix looked up at her with her red cheek and replied coldly, "Alright, Mother,"

"Don't use that tone with me young lady! Now hurry along! I'm tired!" She snapped.

————————

Christmas arrived with no snow. In the Black house, it was very subdued. Christmas was a muggle festival after all, and the only reason they celebrated it was to bring the family together. There was no tree, no presents and no decorations. The children didn't mind. They didn't know anything else.

Bellatrix had wrapped the sweets from Hogwarts in coarse brown paper and given it to her sisters in the morning. They were absolutely delighted and had had a very unhealthy breakfast of sweets and chocolates. Andromeda had sketched a beautiful portrait of both Bellatrix and Narcissa and given it to them eagerly. Narcissa had tried to make a homemade pouch and a pencil case for her sisters respectively but it tore apart before it could even reach their hands.

The girls had decided to sneak into the kitchen and the elves gave them fresh cream buns. Unfortunately, this created a bit of a mess and Druella wiped the cream off Andromeda's nose a little too forcefully.

"I have told you countless times not to go into the kitchen! If you do it again I will have to tell Father. It is not a place for young girls." Druella said while pushing a clean dress over Narcissa.

"But why?" Narcissa said, her voice slightly muffled over the dress.

"It is not an appropriate place for you, all right?"

"But we like it there, Mother," Narcissa protested. "They're nice and they give us extra food!"

"They're not like us, Narcissa. It's like Mudbloods and Muggles, yes? We're different from them. Our blood is pure, theirs is tainted. House elves aren't human."

"Is that why Uncle Alphard is burned off the tree?"

The dress was suddenly yanked down her head, leaving her face free. Her mother stepped back. "How did you know about that?"

"Bellatrix told me," Narcissa said while turning her head towards her oldest sister.

"Bellatrix should learn to keep her mouth shut" Druella said as she scowled at Bellatrix. She blew her perfect blond curls out of her eyes. "Merlin, it's hot in here. Andromeda and Narcissa please go outside now."

They both look at her, frightened and scampered out of the room quickly. Bellatrix stood in the room by herself while her mother glared at her.

"You need to stop telling them things they do not need to know. They are too young! Alphard was a blood traitor and thus was burned off the tree. He is no Black! Haven't I told you we are to never mentioned those who have been disowned! They are blood traitors and muggle lovers and are scum to us! Don't ever let me hear you talking about them! I will tell your Father about this. Now leave!"

Bellatrix hurried out of the room and immediately bumped into her sisters who gave her a frightened look.

"I'm okay! Mother didn't punish me!"

"Phew!" Narcissa sighed

"Let's go put on our shoes before Mother comes and punishes us," Andromeda said while glancing towards the door.

Another chapter done! Yay!