chapter seventeen - the hallway

She turned to her sister and motioned for them to hide under her canopy bed. They hurried under quickly as they heard 2 pairs of footsteps stop outside the door.

"Anyone here Cygnus?" A cold familiar voice asked. The Dark Lord.

Bellatrix stood frozen outside the door, soft light shining from the slit at the bottom. She heard her father reply shakily,

"N-No My Lord. Only my daughter - Bellatrix,"

"Ah I see. She won't be able to do my task will she?" The Dark Lord whispered.

"I'm afraid she's still too young, too innocent. Send the Malfoy and Lestrange boys instead sir," Cygnus said slowly, minding his words.

"Of course. Send for them instead." The Dark Lord replied coldly.

The footsteps receded and there was silence. Inside, Bellatrix was fuming. How dare her father say she was too young? If Rodolphus could do it, why couldn't she? Wasn't her Father the one to encourage her to become a Death Eater? What was the point of all the lessons he gave her? Because she was a girl? Bella couldn't go because she was too delicate, too frail to pretty, right?

Bellatrix spit to the side. Slowly, Andromeda and Narcissa's panic striken appeared. From the look on their faces, it's clear that they heard everything in the corridor.

"What was that about Bella?" Andromeda asked slowly.

"Nothing! None of your business. Stay here. I'm going outside," Bellatrix snapped at her.

"But Bella I heard-" Andromeda started.

"Stay here I said!" Bellatrix nearly shrieked at her.

They both looked taken a back and quickly moved away. She grabbed her wand from her mahogany desk and placed her ear against the door.

Bellatrix heard more footsteps outside the door, and violently jerked it open.

Rodolphus Lestrange and Lucius Malfoy turned to her immediately, shocked.

"What are you doing here?" Lucius whisper yelled at her.

"It's my house Malfoy. What are you doing here?" She snapped back rudely at him.

Rodolphus didn't move. He was staring at Bellatrix intently with a small smirk on his face.

Bellatrix crossed her arms when she realised what she was wearing. A thin black nightgown that did nothing to cover her long, toned legs.

"My eyes are up here Lestrange," She snapped.

Rodolphus looked up sheepishly.

"Go back into your room Miss Black, this doesn't concern you," Lucius said smoothly to her.

"It doesn't concern you Miss Black," She mocked him. "I know what you're doing. You're on a mission for the Dark Lord. I want to join you."

They both looked surprised.

"How did you know?" Lucius snapped. "It's a top secret mission, you can't join."

"What? I'm coming!"

"No you're not! Otherwise we'll tell Mr Black you've been eavesdropping,"

Bellatrix paused. What would she do if they told her Father? She scowled at them and let them go.

"Remember your place Bella, you're a girl," Lucius smiled coldly as the duo walked by.

Bella didn't notice as Andromeda slowly walked out of the room standing behind her.

Bellatrix took out her wand and gently whispered at their retreating backs, "Crucio".

Obviously the spell wouldn't work. Her Father was right, Bellatrix was too young, too innocent, too naïve, but that simple curse that Bellatrix uttered at age 12 would haunt Andromeda for the rest of her life.

Hey guys! I'm so sorry for not updating these past 2 months! As I told you guys in the last update I've been busy with school work and now I'm going to try and focus more on this book.

Thanks to all the people who wanted me to continue with this story, I really appreciate it!

Love you guys, Sanaya