chapter thirteen - the ball

"I don't care if you don't like it, Bellatrix; you are going wear it!" Druella shrieked at an unhappy Bellatrix who was wearing a big, pastel pink gown.

Druella and Cygnus were taking her to the Lestrange's Christmas Ball, and Druella had decided to pick out Bellatrix's dress.

She had to wear a puffy, pink monstrosity that she absolutely hated. Narcissa looked at the dress in envy - of course she loved it.

Both of her younger sisters wanted to accompany her but they were still too young. Technically Bellatrix was supposed to attend her first party at 13, but since her parents wanted to show her off earlier, she was coming now.

Their mother had taken Bellatrix into the vanity and dolled her up in jewellery and makeup. Bellatrix spent the entire time scowling at her.

"Get that scowl of your face Bellatrix, before I slap it off. I can't have you acting like that in public. You are supposed to be a respectable young lady. I know that you would prefer to wear the emerald green robes, but you are too young to be wearing such a colour. Young girls must wear pastel or white colours,"

Bellatrix huffed.

—————-
Cygnus and Druella decided to apparate outside the huge Lestrange Manor along with her because the Floo Powder would make their robes dirty and ashen.

Before she walked into the manor, her parents held her back.

"I do not know if Druella has told you anything, but we are most likely going to arrange your marriage with Rodolphus Lestrange. We received the letter from Corvus Lestrange - they want to marry you in their family." Cygnus started slowly.

"Yes, I can't believe you managed to find a suitor with your kind of attitude, but don't lose this opportunity. Rodolphus himself requested this and he is of a very wealthy and pure family, be polite and respectable with everyone. You need to make a good impression," Her mother said.

Bellatrix huffed, "Fine."

She walked into the elegant ballroom, gliding like her mother taught her to.

A few couples were waltzing on the dance floor, the women stood around gossiping while drinking champagne. The men were in large groups, talking about politics.

She and her mother drifted over to the large group of women, while her mother introduced her to all the respectable pure blooded ladies.

"Bellatrix, this is Venetia Greengrass," her mother started.

She directed her to a tall, honey blonde woman with ice cold blue eyes. She reminded Bellatrix of someone she knew but she couldn't quite put her finger on it.

"Yes. Nice to meet you Bellatrix. I believe you know my daughter Ophelia," She said through a tight lipped smile.

So that's why she looked familiar, Bellatrix thought.

Bellatrix knew they were all being so fake, as she had heard her mother complain about Venetia all the time behind her back.

She turned to the woman next to Venetia Greengrass and gave a fake smile.

"Hello," She said.

"You're Bellatrix? Now I've heard all about you from my husband. I'm Persephone Avery" She drawled.

She was a short woman with brown hair but her posture and body language shouted aristocracy and made her look taller than she actually was.

"Yes, well Cygnus is calling, I better go see him" Druella cut in quickly and dragged Bellatrix to the other side of the room.

"Don't pay attention to Venetia Greengrass. She's just salty that the Lestrange's refused Ophelia's offed and instead requested you. As for Persephone, she's fine, just don't talk to her too much. I believe her mothers blood status is a bit murky, might be a few squibs here or there."

Silently, Bellatrix thought that their own blood was extremely questionable but she said nothing.

The pair of them walked over to where her Father was standing and stood next to him gracefully. They were simply Cygnus Black's ornaments that he could display and show off.

He looked at her and introduced her to the men standing there.

"This is my eldest, Bellatrix. The Dark Lord has taken an interest in her, she may become a Death Eater," He said proudly.

Bellatrix could feel all eyes staring at her in interest. She looked ahead and saw Rodolphus cold, grey eyes looking into her own. He nodded at her and walked near the plush seats in the corner of the room.

She slowly walked out of the circle next to Rodolphus and sat down. Her parents and the Lestrange's noticed, but they didn't comment.

"So I heard the Dark Lord likes you, how did that happen?" He said curiously.

"It's a long story. Though, I might become a Death Eater when I turn of age," She said eagerly.

"Hmm yes, I heard, my parents said I should become one soon when I turn 17,"

"Yeah. Now, what was it I heard about marriage?" She said sharply.

"Oh that. I've been getting plenty of requests for marriage - especially the Greengrass's. They were adamant. But, there was no way in hell I was going to marry Ophelia. She's a real pain in the arse,"

Bellatrix chuckled softly.

"So my parents told me to pick a pure blood girl, so I just decided to tell them about you. They were satisfied. Anyway, it doesn't make a difference, you were going to marry someone anyway. You're a Black. I'm a Lestrange. We come from a respectable family. At least we know each other,"

"Yes, I know. I just didn't think this would happen this early," She sighed. "At least I didn't get some dolt like Goyle!"

"Do you want to dance?" Bellatrix said abruptly.

He looked at her and smirked, "It would be my pleasure,"

He held his hand out to her and they both walked onto the dance floor. Bellatrix knew how to waltz since she was a child, it was one of the unnecessary skills Madam Francine taught her and her sisters.

They moved gracefully and perfectly in sync. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Venetia Greengrass slightly shaking but trying to look perfect. Her mother looked both triumphant and proud at the same time.

——————
As the party drew to an end, the three Blacks apparated back to their house and went to their respective rooms.

She walked into her huge bedroom and saw Narcissa and Andromeda sitting there, wide awake and looking at her expectantly.

"Well....how was it?" Narcissa squealed.

"Shh....keep your voice down Cissa! Mother and Father will hear. I'm extremely tired, I'll tell you both tomorrow," She shushed then quickly.

They looked slightly put out, but they left all the same.

I finally updated!!! Yay! I'll probably upload the next chapter by next week.

Also thanks for 350 reads!