chapter sixteen - dark thoughts

The night before the sisters were supposed to go home, Andromeda had left packing to the last minute, and at midnight she was trying to fit everything into her trunk.

She remembered that she had left her potions book downstairs in the common room, so she crept down into the darkness to get it. In the common room, a chill had swept through as the fire burned low.

Someone was sitting in front of the fire, forgoing the arm chairs and couches to sit on the hearth rug, and Andromeda recognised the heavy dark hair that fell like waves behind the girls back.

Bellatrix was sitting unnaturally still for her, with her knees drawn up and her arms wrapped around them, staring at the fire.

"Bella?"

Bellatrix turned, and in the faint light Andromeda saw tracks of tears on her face. She made no attempt to brush them away, only said faintly "Oh, Andy..."

"What's wrong?" Andromeda asked, forgetting her book and going to drop her knees beside her. She turned her head back to the fire and shook her head slightly.

"Nothing," she murmured, and then was silent. She paused for a few more seconds and then said in a whisper, "It's all just so dark, Andy."

"What is?"

"The things I think about,"

Bellatrix didn't say anything else as to not trouble or frighten her younger sister. How could she tell her about all those horrible books Lucius and Rodolphus were showing her, the lessons Father taught her, the spells the Dark Lord had shown?

Andromeda didn't understand what she meant and as far as she was concerned, she thought she knew all of Bella's thoughts and to her she was brilliant and charming,beautiful and golden. She didn't see any of the darkness Bellatrix saw in herself and instead of arguing with Bellatrix, she merely sat next to her and placed her arms around her older sister.

Bellatrix learned against Andromeda and sighed, burying her face on her sisters shoulder as they stayed there for most of the night.

—————-
Bellatrix never said anything more about the previous night, but the next day she was her old self, embracing Narcissa with such exuberant joy that Mother had to tell her to restrain herself.

Bellatrix finally felt whole, the world never felt quite right when it wasn't all three of them together.

If there is one thing the pureblood families did well, it was the parties. Holiday galas and masked balls and summer house parties. It was an opportunity to show off your wealth, to show off your status in the wizarding elite. By the time we arrived home for the holidays, the season was in full swing, our parents gone every night in their most elegant robes.

Our parents didn't officially recognize such a "muggle" holiday as Christmas, but the time between the winter solstice and the New Year was one of seemingly constant celebration. We received presents, the finest robes and cloaks from our parents, sweets and little trinkets from friends and family. There were seemingly endless family meals, but they were worth sitting through for after they ended we were allowed into the sitting room, with its dark paneled walls and the lingering masculine smells of smoke and whisky, while we drank hot chocolate and Uncle Alphard gathered us around and told us stories of the exotic places he traveled. We played in the snow that fell over the grounds and ice skated on the lake, and then rushed inside to curl up in front of the fire wrapped in quilts. The house seemed a little bit warmer filled with the smells of the pine branches that lined the banisters and the elaborate meals the house elves prepared.

The Blacks formal dress ball fell on the winter solstice, and although thirteen was the traditional age, none of them could yet attend.

The Lestrange Ball was an exception last year to announce Bellatrix's engagement and to tell everyone about the Dark Lord.

This year, on the day of the ball, the girls danced around in their nightgowns and pretended to waltz with each other. Bellatrix sat and watched in content as Andromeda and Narcissa giggled and tripped over each other as they tried to dip together.

A loud noise was heard right outside Bellatrix's room, and all three of them froze like a deer in headlights. They were supposed to be in bed now and they didn't want to risk their Mother's anger on Christmas.

Bellatrix motioned for Andromeda and Narcissa to be quiet as she slowly opened the door and creeped outside, and standing there and talking in hushed voices was a tall and looming man standing with her father.

Bellatrix immediately closed the door back and rushed back into her own room quickly. Her sisters looked at her in confusion but as she mouthed Father to them, Andromeda clamped her hand to her mouth and Narcissa clear azure eyes widened.

OMFG I REACHED 1K READS!! Thanks you guys so much!!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

xxSanaya