chapter eleven - the dark lord

The Dark Lord called her into the dining room and told her to close the door behind her.

The room was silent, filled with people who were watching her, and at the head of the table, the Dark Lord sat, in her fathers chair.

He was pale, a man with a sharp, handsome face, but somehow it looked a little...blurred. He had dark eyes, but when he gleamed at her, it looked almost red, and his long, white fingers caressed a small snake that peeked from his sleeve. It wound around his hand, its small, arrow like head, sliding in and out of its fingers. He saw her looking and smiled with thin lips.

"His name is Nagini," he said. "You may pet it if you like."

Bellatrix was afraid not to do as he asked. Slowly, she walked across the dining room, her shoes squeaking against the hard floor. She had never been inside before. It was kept for the special dinner parties which her parents held, and Bellatrix and her sisters were forbidden to enter at all times, until they were thirteen, when they would sit on the table alongside her parents.

She reached the Dark Lords chair, and with no hesitation, she petted his small head. She could see the intricate designs on his green and black skin.

"Now you must tell me, child, why were you listening at the door?" He asked.

Bellatrix straightened. Though she was nervous, she tried hard not to show it, though her eyes flickered to her father, in fear that he would punish her later. But Cygnus gave the smallest incline of his head.

"I....I was interested to know what you were talking about, my lord," she said, her voice shaking a little.
"Indeed? Are you interested in the cause?"

"Very," she said eagerly. "Father always taught me about it, and I've done a little bit at school – you sound like a great man, my lord."

"I am more than a man, Bellatrix. I am Lord Voldemort," he looked at her with those red tinged eyes, tilting his head a little, and she almost shivered. She felt like he was looking into her very soul.

"And should you like to become a Death Eater, Bellatrix?"

The interest in their audience doubled. Everyone knew that The Dark Lord did not have female Death Eaters. Bellatrix's insides fizzed, imagining just what the girls at school would say, how envious they would be. She would be one of The Dark Lord's soldiers! Her, Bellatrix Black!

"I should like that very much, my lord," she said, her eyes shining, and he laughed and put his hand to her shoulder. It was a strange, light weight.

"An eager child," he said. "I see your mind and I see your words are true. You will seat here tonight, as my guest. Raise your wands for her, for Bellatrix Black!"

Bellatrix's cheeks flushed pink with pleasure as they all raised their wands – Adults! Raising their wands to her! – and they glowed bright in the dining room. And most of all she could see her parent's faces at the top of the table, glowing with pride.  

After the Dark Lord and the other guests had left, Bellatrix and her parents sat the dining table. Bellatrix was exhilarated, her blood still racing, her cheeks still flushed pink.

"What on earth were you doing, listening at the door?" Druella asked. "We've told you about private conversations."

She wasn't properly irritated, however, her eyes shining like stars.  "My daughter," she said proudly. "He picked you."

"Our daughter," Cygnus said. "Chosen by the Dark Lord! You don't know how lucky you are, Bellatrix." 

"I do, Father," she said quietly. "Truly, I do."