chapter five - mudbloods and letters

Bellatrix woke up the next morning to Ophelia and Rita quietly gossiping on the bed. She looked at them and immediately turned away - she wasn't as petty as them. She quickly wore her Hogwarts robes with the emerald green Slytherin tie and left the dorm.

She walked into the Great Hall and sat next to Rodolphus. He looked at her and smiled,

"Morning Black!"

"Morning." She muttered back. She filled her plate with some bacon and eggs and listened mindlessly to Rodolphus and Amycus's conversation. They were immediately interrupted by a huge flock of owls flying into the Hall and landing next to their owners. Her jet black owl Hercules, flew in and dropped two letters on her food. She groaned and picked them up.

The first one was from Andromeda and she quickly opened it.

Dear Bella,
How is Hogwarts? Is it really as big as Mother told us? Mother told us that you are in Slytherin! Congratulations! Cissy and I are waiting for the Christmas holidays so you can come home! Also, Reg and Sirius came home yesterday! Regulus can walk now! We had lots of fun. Aunt Walburga gave me an entire lecture on being a good pure blood wife. It was horrible! I hope you are having fun and making new friends. Madam Francine is giving me lots of big books to read so I will be the best in our year! Tell me all about your classes and schoolwork so next year I can get a head start!

Lots of love,
Andromeda

P.S Mother told me to tell you that you should keep talking and being friends with Rodolphus Lestrange because he is a good catch!

Bellatrix rolled her eyes. Andromeda was way too studious for her own good. And all her Mother cared about was that her daughters should marry rich and pure blood husbands. So of course she had to pursue Rodolphus Lestrange! 'Well, I don't want my life purpose to be to marry some rich idiot,' she thought angrily. She decided she would simply not listen to her mothers orders. Who cares what she thought!

She tore open the other letter which was from Narcissa.

Dear Bella,
I'm missing you so much! I've been counting down the days until you come home. Andy and I play games sometimes but it's not the same without you! When you come back home we'll all play together! Madam Francine is being a real pain. She says I need to get smarter like Andy! It's not fair! It's not like I want to join the Ministry. I'll just get married and have kids and live happily ever after! Anyway, remember your promise!

Love,
Cissy

She shook her head at Narcissa's letter. Narcissa's life purpose was to marry rich and have children. Bellatrix would have a talk with her later.

Bellatrix quickly wrote responses to both her sisters and sent them with Hercules. A couple minutes later, a huge walrus like man with a protruding belly walked down towards the Slytherin table.

"I'm Professor Slughorn - Head of Slytherin," he started "Now first years I'm going to hand out your timetables. Try not to get lost!" He winked at them.

He passed a timetable to Bellatrix and she read it through. Uggh, she thought. Double potions with the Hufflepuffs! She, Rodolphus and Amycus trudged back down to the dungeons. They walked in the horrible smelling room and sat down as far from the front as possible. After a few minutes, all the students filed in and took a seat. Ophelia joined them on the table and sat as close to Rodolphus as possible. She gave him a sickening smile which he did not return.

Professor Slughorn walked in the potions room. He clapped his hands together and smiled.

"Now since this is your first potions lesson, let's start with something pretty simple and easy. Turn to page 394 and attempt to make the cure for boils. You have 1 hour, good luck!"

She opened her textbook and started making it. Bellatrix looked around the room and then she spotted a Mudblood. She whispered to Rodolphus,

"If you put lacewing flies in the potion, it will blow up. What if it accidentally fell into the Mudbloods cauldron? She smirked sneakily

He grinned back and whispered,

"Try Wingardium Leviosa"

"Wingardium Leviosa!" She muttered quietly. The lacewing flies floated towards the cauldron and fell inside.

BOOM!

The girl's face was dark and ashy. She snarled and pointed at Bellatrix.

"Professor! Black levitated the lacewing flies into my potion!" She screeched

"Of course she didn't Professor! Bellatrix was just talking to me! She must have made a mistake with the potion!" Rodolphus shouted back

"Thank you Mr Lestrange. Miss Williams, you must have made a mistake. Go to the Hospital Wing where Madam Twycross can fix you up." Slughorn said kindly

Rodolphus and Bellatrix smirked at each other.

—————-

Once the lesson was over, Rodolphus, Bellatrix, Bradford and Araminta walked out. The girl whose face had blown up, stormed up to Bellatrix.

"I know you did it on purpose! How dare you?" She yelled

"How dare I? How dare you even talk to me you Mudblood! You got what you deserved! Stealing magic from the pure bloods! I can't believe Dumbledore let's this filth in the school!" Bellatrix spat

"Well at least I'm not an arrogant pure blood who thinks I'm above everyone else!"she shouted back.

"Shut up Mudblood! Leave now!" Rodolphus thundered

The girl glared at them one last time and walked off.

"Come on Bella. She wasn't worth it! It's not your fault the Mudbloods have become mouthy." He said gently

"Shut it Lestrange! Don't call me Bella again!" She snarled

"But your sisters do don't they? Do you tell them to shut it?"

"Well they're my sisters aren't they? You are an idiot!"

"Ouch, Black!" He sighed with his hand above his heart.

Araminta rushed up to the duo.

"Rita and Ophelia have told everyone about your fight with the Mudblood. Everyone is talking about it! I wouldn't be surprised if the teachers know!" she said.

"Those hags can't keep their trap shut can they? Hmmph, I'll deal with them later!" She scowled.

And with that she stormed off to her next class.