06

"End me please," Hyunjin whines as we descend the stairs, heading towards the cafeteria. "A double hour of math isn't good for a guy's health."

"You don't have to tell me," I agree, hiding a massive yawn behind my hand. "That was boring."

"Not only that," my best friend mutters as we beeline straight towards our usual spot in the cafeteria.

It's not exactly a comfortable spot but at least it's ours, which is mostly because no one else wants to claim it as theirs. It's just a quiet corner of the cafeteria where we sit on the ground with our backs against the wall.

"I want an upgrade," Hyunjin scowls as he glares at the floor in front of him, with bricks decorating the wall behind. "I think we deserve better in our second year here."

"Resistance is futile," I comment as I slowly crouch down before sitting down and letting my back rest against the wall.

It's no wonder my back hurts after every lunch break but it's still better than standing for 30 minutes straight.

"You're right," the other sighs in surrender as he sits down next to me. "Guess we're stuck here for eternity."

"Can we not, I don't even like high school that much." I mean, it was okay when I still acted like a model student. But ever since the situation at home got worse, school has been going downhill, too. Now I can't wait until it's over and I can finally leave this place behind me.

"At least it's better than being home, huh?" Hyunjin asks, sympathy slipping into his voice. My tone must've gone bitter.

He has that a lot. We can have sarcastic discussions that would make outsiders think we hate each other, and then suddenly his tone would turn soft and he'd ask something just to make sure I'm still doing fine.

He's the perfect mix between a sarcastic joker and a caring and thoughtful friend. He always knows when it's better to cheer me up with idiotic jokes or when to stay serious and just be there for me.

I guess you could say that he's the one that helps me to survive high school. Or life in general. I don't know where I would've been without Hyunjin.

"Yeah, definitely better," I agree, silently watching how my best friend takes a lunch box from his school bag. I suddenly realize that I have nothing to eat -again- and as if on cue, my stomach grumbles loudly.

To my surprise, he takes out another box and hands it to me. I look at him in amazement and Hyunjin rolls his eyes.

"Don't look at me like that," he scoffs, holding the lunch box in his outstretched arms and waiting for me to take it. "I had to prepare two boxes this morning because a certain little shit refused to wake up." He shoots me an accusing glare and I laugh sheepishly.

"Sorry hyung," I apologize, taking the lunch box from his hands before he can have second thoughts. "I'll pay a Big Mac for you after school."

Hyunjin's eyes light up but quickly dim when he seems to remember something.

"I can't," he sighs, his shoulders dropping slightly. "Minho hyung is coming over, for the assignment."

"He can come too," I shrug. "I don't mind."

The older boy seemed like a cool person when I met him yesterday. He was easy to talk to and his presence felt comfortable, probably because of his laidback and relaxed demeanor.

He even got me to talk freely even though I just met him the same day. He got away with calling me Ji only a few hours later.

I definitely wouldn't mind him joining us.

"I'll ask him- ah, there he is!" Hyunjin frantically waves his hand in the air, a feeble attempt to stand out while he's sitting on the ground. "Minho hyung!"

Surely, the older boy notices and he approaches us immediately.

"Hey guys," Minho greets us with an easy grin playing on his lips as he looks down on us. "How's the weather down there?"

"Pretty good, wanna join?" Hyunjin asks, jokingly patting the empty spot next to him.

"Nah, Lix is waiting for me," Minho apologizes. "What's up?"

"Jisung just asked me out on a mac date and he was dying to ask if you wanted to come too," my best friend explains, earning a harsh slap from me that makes him wince a little.

"Cute," the other replies, and I send Hyunjin the most poisonous glare I've ever given someone.

"So is it a yes or a no?" Hyunjin asks, covering my face with his large hand to discreetly get rid of my glare.

"Yes, of course," Minho clarifies, pretending to be shocked. "There's no way I'm missing a portion of chicken mcnuggets."

"That's settled then," my best friend happily states, earning a soft grin from the older.

"See you after school then, gotta go." He waves cheerfully before turning around and walking off.

Now there's no one to witness a murder.

"You. Are. So. Dead," I hiss, emphasizing each and every word as I glare at Hyunjin dangerously.

"I'm just doing my job, Ji," my best friend states, raising his hands in mocking surrender. "Hyunjin the friendship matchmaker, remember?"

"You're taking it a bit too far," I point out accusingly. Hey, we're going to the mac after school, wanna join? would've worked just fine as well. But no, my best friend has to exaggerate in front of others, nothing new. Deciding to add a dangerous threat, I add, "If you don't say sorry, I'm not paying your Big Mac."

"Sorry... but not really," Hyunjin replies while stuffing his mouth with a load of rice from his lunch box, looking at me with innocent round eyes. I give him a dead look in return. Sometimes I really wonder what I have to do with him.

"What does Minho hyung even see in you? I bet he has lots of other friends that are way less annoying than you," I scoff and my best friend just shrugs his shoulders, obviously missing the joking insult.

"He doesn't even have that many friends," he dryly explains. "For as far as I know, he's good friends with the Aussies but that's about it. Surprising, huh? I thought he'd be pretty popular."

"He gives off that vibe," I agree, nodding a few times as I'm digging into my memory to recall who Hyunjin means with the Aussies. I'm far away from the school's gossip circuit and I honestly don't know a lot of students.

"You have no idea who I'm talking about, huh?" Hyunjin guesses, giving me a stupefied look. "Where do you live? Somewhere under a stone away from all the rumors and stories that go around?"

"Pretty accurate," I deadpan.

"Well, there are two guys that moved here from Australia and Minho hyung managed to befriend them both," my friend explains.

"Cwool stowy," I mutter, my cheeks stuffed with a load of rice equal to Hyunjin's, nodding vigorously.

"Rude," Hyunjin comments, scrunching up his nose in disgust. Then he stuffs his lunch box inside his bag and swiftly jumps to his feet. "Next class is in the biology lab, we have to go to the science building," he urges while dusting off his clothes.

Sighing, I slowly get to my feet, handing the lend lunch box -that isn't even empy yet- back to my friend and watch how it disappears inside his bag as well.

"Stop looking so sad," my best friend chimes, lightly punching my arm. "Think about our date with Minho hyung today!"

"Not a date!" I deny, punching back as we pry through the crowd of students. Hyunjin just laughs it off, a giggle that makes all the girls turn around at once.

He can wave goodbye to his Big Mac if he keeps this up.

--

Huh? This shit is nearly at 100 reads already?