15

When I arrive home and enter the living room, I'm greeted by my mom who's watching the news. She looks up and turns down the volume with a soft smile.

"Hi sweetie, where have you been? You go out a lot lately."

I sit down on the couch next to her, my eyes wandering to the flatscreen on the wall to read the headlines that roll over the screen.

"I went to that new arcade with a friend," I reply, my eyes remaining focused on the screen without really processing what I see.

It's always the same; someone important died, someone went missing, a large company went bankrupt, a celebrity couple is divorcing with way too much drama.

"With Hyunjin?" my mom asks.

Of course she thinks that. Hyunjin has been my best and only friend for many years now and he's been at my place a lot. My mom is very fond of him, jokingly reffering to him as her lost son sometimes.

I shake my head in denial and I gain a surprised look from my mom. "No," I shrug. "He introduced me to this guy and we became friends pretty fast. I ran into him today and we just spontaneously decided to go there."

"I'm glad you're making new friends," my mom replies. She offers me another smile. "It's very unlike you to see you so dull, you always used to be so cheerful."

"Me too," I say with a slight nod, delicately ignoring the second part of her reply. "He seems like a cool guy and I'm glad we get along so I don't have to bother Hyunjin every single time I'm feeling lonely."

"You should bring him over once," my mom suggests. "I'd like to meet the person who got the honor of befriending you. What's his name?"

"Minho," I answer, smiling at her little joke. "Lee Minho."

"Isn't that Hyunjin's assignment partner?" my mom questions, tapping her chin as she attempts to recall something.

I frown, "how do you know?"

"Sweetie, do you really think I blatantly ignore Hyunjin while you're using the restroom? We talk, you know?"

My mom chuckles and I shake my head. Then our conversation falls silent and I excuse myself, leaving her as I go to my room.

Once there, I turn on the lights, shut the blinders and plop down onto my bed. My eyes close nearly automatically and I realize how tired I'm actually am. But I'm not going to sleep yet. It's way too early and I don't want to mess up my circadium rythm.

Instead, I lay on my bed with my eyes closed, reliving every moment of today starting from the moment Minho suddenly appeared. No matter how bright the sun was shining today; everything brightened even more when he was there with his easy smile.

Somehow, the fact that he came to me once he saw me kind of surprises me. And it was not only to say hi but he approached me with the plan to ask me to the arcade.

I only met him last Monday, five days ago. And yet it feels like I've known him for much longer. Being around him doesn't feel awkward and forced, it feels natural and comfortable.

It wasn't even that easy with Hyunjin. Sure, we got along just fine right away but it took many weeks before the awkward feeling to wear off and even after that, it was a while before I wasn't ashamed of myself and dared to act like I really am.

I've grown a lot over the past few years so of course, befriending someone wasn't as hard as it was back then. But still, I felt comfortable around him so fast, it still surprises me more than just a bit.

Deep in thought, I start dozing off. Ignoring the bright light radiating off of the lamp placed on my nightstand, drowsines is getting the best of me and my consciously slowly slips away.

But the shrill sound of my ringtone harshly brings me back and I jolt up immediately, my heart pounding madly in my ribcage from the sudden noise.

After taking a few deep breaths to recover from the sudden shock, I reach out to check the caller ID.

Hyunjin, the screen reads and once I'm satisfied about my breathing again, I swipe to accept the call.

"Hel-" I attempt to say.

"Han Jisung," the other cuts me off immediately. "Tell me, what have you done to Minho hyung?"

I frown, even though it's invisible to Hyunjin. "What do you mean?" I ask, slightly confused. "Did something happen to him?"

"You happened," my best friend replies, confusing me even more. "He kept begging me to invite you over the entire time and I had to hide both our phones to prevent him from texting or calling you."

Minho did that?

I blink a few times, a bit taken aback by his words. Instantly, heat finds its way to my cheeks and I feel the need to hide under my blankets even more in utter embarrassment, even though there's no one here to see me.

"That's unusual," I coolly reply, attempting to sound unbothered by that. "Most people are begging for me to stay away."

"Minho hyung obviously not," Hyunjin simply counters. "I saw you two at the arcade today."

"You did?" I ask, not succeeding in hiding the surprise from my tone. I try to recall the time I spent at the arcade today, hoping to remember if I saw Hyunjin without realizing it's him.

Obviously, I didn't.

Hyunjin hums to confirm my question. "I was there with Seu- a friend for a short while," he explains. "I cackled when the hockey puck hit your forehead but you didn't hear me."

"Very funny," I reply with a humorless laugh, lifting my hand to rub my forehead. It isn't that painful anymore but I'm sure te hockey puck left a red mark. I didn't check a mirror yet.

My best friend chuckles and I heave out a sigh. "Why didn't you come to say hi?" I ask, because there's no way Hyunjin will apologize.

"I already told you before that I don't feel like third wheeling," Hyunjin explains, his tone giving away that he's smirking. "Besides, I was there with someone else."

"You're not a third wheel," I protest and the other clicks his tongue.

"Not yet, maybe," he corrects. "Believe me, I will be soon, see me being replaced by Minho hyung when you two start dating."

I accidentally choke on my saliva and a coughing fit follows suit. "B-Both will not happen, never ever," I counter, my voice strained from the shortage of breath.

"We'll see about that," Hyunjin smugly states, the smirk again present in his voice. "I'll be cheering for you."

"What-" I begin, but then the line goes dead and the only sound left is the monotone beeping. Did he seriously just do that?

I groan loudly and toss my phone onto the covers next to me. Me dating a boy is out of the question for now. Hell would be a paradise compared to what I'd have to go through if my parents would find out.

Besides, Minho is just a friend, right?