Kurapika: Death's Messenger

Have you ever predicted a person's death? I did. It's through a dream, and I'm in the shoes of the target. I fail to know the face and everytime I try to find a mirror, it vanishes, like the dream is forbidding me. Because of that, I have to guess who's going to die and when. It's a bit easy to guess who dies because of the clothing of the person and the place helps me know that the person will die in that day. My job is to save them from their death.

            Most of the time though, I couldn't save them, or I saved the wrong person. It's complicated. I had this curse since I was thirteen. Now that I'm seventeen, it seems to get worse. I don't like it.

•••

            Another accident occurred, and I'm holding the little girl in my arms. I held her close to me, tightly. I feel very cold. I could hear the sirens and the voices of the paramedics rushing here and there. The driver of the bus that we were in lost control when we passed by the bridge and we all fell in the cold lake. I swam my way out with the girl I knew who was going to die today. My eyes were tightly closed praying that I saved a life this time.

            I woke up and found myself staring at a cream-colored ceiling. I'm laid in a hospital bed and I could hear the news on the television. My eyes scanned the small room I was in and I saw my brother and sister. Nathan was beside my bed holding my hand

"Hey" he greeted in a gentle voice

"What happened?" I asked

            Reishu-nee turned off the television and walked to me, then fixed my blanket "get some rest"

"I want to know what happened" I said in a demanding tone, "where's the girl?" I asked them

            They didn't tell me at first but I was persistent. In the end, I found out that she died. I wasn't able to save her.

2 Days later

            My friend Kurapika called me today and asked me out for an afternoon break. He's the only close friend I have aside from my siblings. Nathan joked one time that we'd end up together but I doubt that very much. Kurapika has a lot of things that are far more important to deal with rather than to start a romantic relationship.

            We met at our favorite cafe and ordered the same dark roasted brewed coffee and ordered pasta, and a dark-forest cake as my desert. Kurapika isn't into cake right now.

"How are you feeling?" He leaned on the table and started with his pasta

"Frustrated. I lost her" I took a forkful of pasta and shoved it in my mouth

"Slow down, don't pour it out on stress eating"

I gulped the food down my throat "it somehow calms me a bit when I stress eat"

He sighed "it's not your fault, how many times do I have to say that?"

            The first time we met and became friends, Kurapika was afraid of my situation. It took time for him to believe I could predict anyone's death and when he finally believed me, he asked me a favor. He said that if the day comes when I saw his death, he doesn't want me to try preventing him from it. He welcomes death and is not afraid of it. Now, I'm fearing for that time to come and wish that it never will.

            But until now, I'm guessing about why exactly did he asked me that favor. He wouldn't tell me. I think he knows how he's going to die and he's willing to face that. That scared me. I don't want to lose him.

"Nira? Nira!"

I was snapped out of my thoughts, I blinked "oh, sorry" I apologized

"Alright, what are you thinking now?" Kurapika asked me, full of concern in his expression and tone