Chapter 4

It was just about midday and Clarke was grateful that her shift was coming to an end. She had been doing her best to keep herself busy, but her mind just kept on reeling and she just couldn't find a way to shut it down. She had been remembering, more and more as each hour passed, things that she had forgotten, or rather, thought that she had forgotten. The most random memories just kept popping into her head and bringing with them a random rush of emotions that were becoming almost too much to withstand.

Dropping down onto the bench in front of her locker, Clarke shook her head trying to keep yet another one at bay.

***********************************************************************************************

Lexa looked down at her phone as it buzzed. "Let me out," she said softly, nudging Clarke's side.
"Everything okay?" Clarke asked, easily taking in the look on her face.
Lexa nodded and slid out of the booth. Swallowing hard she cleared her throat and put the phone to her ear. "Hello Mother." Clarke heard her say as she walked away from the table.

Several minutes passed and Lexa still hadn't returned, looking out the window Clarke could see that she was still on the phone. Something was wrong. She looked tense as her jaw clenched and unclenched and her head shook every so often.

Though Lexa had assured her time and time again that the relationship that she had with her parents was fine and that she could handle it, the truth was becoming clearer and clearer with every interaction that Clarke witnessed. Lexa's relationship with her parents was anything, but fine. The power that they seemed to have over her was completely unhealthy and the effect they had on her, well, that was just devastating to witness. Clarke didn't even really notice as her feet carried her across the diner and out the door. She stood on the steps listening.

"No. Mother, I would rather not. I really have no interest," Lexa said pinching the bridge of her nose as she turned and saw Clarke. "Yes. Yes, I'll be there. Goodbye," she ended the call quickly and closed her eyes.
"Are you okay?" Clarke asked as she slowly walked down the steps.
"I have to go home. My parents are having a dinner party," Lexa answered as she tucked her phone back into her pocket, "and there's someone they want me to meet." The vein in her forehead was showing and her body had gone completely stiff.
Clarke knew exactly what this meant. Lexa had already told her that her parents had been trying to set her up for years. "It'll be ok," she tried to reassure her and put her hand on Lexa's shoulder.
"You know that it won't," Lexa sighed.
"Maybe you could try telling them again?" Clarke suggested.
"They don't listen," Lexa shook her head. "Believe me, the last thing that they want to acknowledge is that their daughter is a..."
"Raging lesbian?" Clarke offered playfully, trying to lighten Lexa's new mood.
Lexa's green eyes widened. "I do not rage," she insisted firmly.
"Yeah, well, you should," Clarke grinned sinfully and nudged her. "You're hot."
"Stop it," Lexa replied stiffly.
"Come on, Lexa, when's the last time you even went on a date?" Clarke asked waving her hand. "You need to get laid," she told her pointedly.
"I'm fine, thank you," Lexa cupped her hands behind her back.
"What're we talking about?" Octavia asked as she jumped off of the steps and landed next to Clarke.
"How Lexa needs to get laid," Clarke answered with a smile as she pushed at Lexa's shoulder.
"Oh, you totally do," Octavia nodded in agreement.
"Definitely," Raven added, descending from the landing, "and I can think of one fine lady who could help you out," she said and wiggled her eyebrows as she nudged Clarke.
"Oh, stop it," Clarke playfully pushed her back.
"Ok, well if Clarke won't help you out," Raven winked, "I know plenty of other fine ladies who would love the opportunity to go dow..."
"Yeah, I'm going to pass on that," Lexa put her hand up with a slight grin and everyone laughed. "I have to go pack. I'll talk to you all later."

As Lexa walked away, Clarke turned to Octavia. "What are we doing this weekend?"
"Party at Jasper and Monty's tomorrow," Octavia answered as she stuffed her hands into her pockets.
"Who'll be there?" Clarke asked curiously.
"You, me, Raven, Lincoln, Jasper, Monty, Anya, I think and Bellamy," Octavia shrugged. "Obviously, I thought Lexa too, but now I'm guessing not."
Clarke's phone buzzed in her pocket and pulling it out she saw the name Finn flash on the screen. "No Finn, right?" Clarke asked softly.