Chapter 6

They stood in the lobby, just eyeing each other with shades of blue and green locked in a silent conversation.

"I just wanted to say that..." Clarke finally said. "I'm really sorry about your parents."
"You despised my parents," Lexa stated plainly.
"So did you," Clarke shrugged slightly, "but they were still your parents."
Lexa nodded curtly.
Clarke stepped forward, "I don't..." she started, but paused when Lexa took a step back. "You're afraid of me?"
The corner of Lexa's mouth twitched ever so slightly. "Merely trying to stay out of the splash zone," she replied coolly.
Clarke instantly felt her cheeks redden. "I'm sorry about that too," she told her earnestly. "I thought you were... It doesn't matter what I thought. I was completely out of line."
"You were caught off guard and clearly upset," Lexa said as she cupped her hands behind her back.
"That doesn't excuse it," Clarke shook her head. Totally true.
"Perhaps not," Lexa agreed with a light nod, "but I will.
"Thank you," Clarke smiled weakly.

There was silence for a moment. Clarke knew what she wanted to say, but her words were failing her. Their friendship had developed so fast and with such ease. It was natural. They were the perfect example of opposites attracting. Everything that made them who they were, also made them amazing as friends. They just made sense to each other and brought out the best in each other. Never in her life had she had a friend like Lexa, and she missed that. "We were friends, you know, before everything else," she shook her head. "That was real, wasn't it?"
Lexa's eyes softened a little. "Of course," she answered simply.
"Do you think we could..." Clarke nodded. "I don't know, maybe lunch?"
Lexa furrowed her brow, her green eyes searching Clarke's blue ones. She sighed. "I think we could both use a drink," she told her.

An hour later and halfway through their second drink the conversation seemed to be flowing with much more ease. They were catching up as old friends, rather than former lovers and it just felt nice, and again, easy.

"So, how did you meet," Lexa paused and waved her hand, "forgive me, I don't know your fiancés name."
"Wells," Clarke nodded. "His name is Wells. He works at the hospital too. Oncology."
"How long have you been together?" Lexa questioned as she shifted in her seat.
"Two years. He's sweet and nice," Clarke shrugged and chuckled lightly, "albeit a tad too arrogant and uptight at times, but he's a good guy."
"Well, he sounds several levels above Finn," Lexa grinned at her.
"Oh God, Finn," Clarke shook her head. "He died, you know? A few years ago."
"I didn't," Lexa answered. "What happened to him?"
"Bar fight," Clarke answered, still shaking her head, "over a woman, of course. Apparently his temper never improved."
Lexa merely sighed.
"You know, I was always grateful that you were there," the words just fell out of Clarke's mouth as a slight smirk crossed her face. "That you came to my rescue."
"Hey, you rescued me too," Lexa surprisingly smirked back. "Remember?"
Clarke nodded slowly and smiled. She did remember. After all, it was the first time she found herself questioning how she really felt about Lexa.

***********************************************************************************************

Clarke was standing with Raven, Anya and Octavia at the fall festival, laughing as they watched Lincoln and Bellamy take on Jasper and Monty in a competition of bobbing for apples – losers had to pay for dinner. Lexa had excused herself to the bathroom some time ago and had yet to return.

"Lincoln, you better win this," Anya told him with a stern eye.
"It's him and Bellamy," Octavia laughed. "Of course they're going to win."
"Ever notice how no one is ever on our side?" Monty shrugged with a goofy smile.
"If you'd actually ever win, perhaps someone would be," Raven told him and everyone laughed.
"Fucking bitch." Anya suddenly breathed as her eyes sharpened their attention to something behind Clarke.
"What?" Clarke said, turning quickly. "What is it?" Her eyes fell and Lexa about fifteen or twenty yards away, talking to a flashy brunette and looking absolutely unhappy about it.