Sparks Fly 2

There's a paw in her face.

Without opening her eyes, she reaches up and tries to move it off of her cheek. Luca lets out a loud meow that's filled with clear discontent that Jennie ignores. "Let me sleep," Jennie mutters, turning her head away from the cat.

She's halfway asleep again when she feels a gentle pushing against her nose. She jumps and one of her eyes opens. Her nostrils flare when she sees Luca standing directly in front of her face. She notices Jennie's open eye and she meows again, loudly still, and nudges Jennie's cheek with her nose. Jennie's nose scrunches. "You're a pest," she mumbles, reaching her hand up to scratch just underneath her chin. Her eyes fall closed and soft purrs send vibrations through her body, which Jennie feels against her hands. "You aren't going to let me sleep, are you?" She asks, still moving her fingers. Luca's eyes reopen and Jennie swears she raises an eyebrow at her. She sighs sitting up in bed, her hand falling away from Luca's chin. She glances at the clock. 6:24am. Much as she expected.

Her hair is in a braid, the end of it hanging just next to her arm. Luca bats at it with her paw. Jennie rolls her eyes. "At least I don't have to buy you toys," she murmurs. She knows Luca won't let her go back to sleep, not unless she's fed, watered, and played with and by the time she does that, she won't even want to sleep.

So Jennie moves and swings her legs over the edge of the bed, stretching her arms over her head. She yawns and as she does, Luca trots across the bed and jumps off of the edge, heading toward the door. The room is dark and Jennie isn't certain that she won't run into any boxes. Mostly, she still hasn't unpacked. She hasn't had much time to even....think about taking everything out of the boxes. She's got three manuscripts to read and give to her boss before the weekend is over.

The only things that are unpacked are her 'World's Greatest Aunt' mug that Soojin had given her for her most recent birthday (she nearly cried when Soojin gave it to her - and she certainly didn't have the heart to tell her that she's not her Aunt) and a few plates that she's been washing and reusing since she's been here.

It's strange, having her own apartment. She's never lived alone. She's always been....with people. With her parents, with Dara, then with her uncle. Now she's alone with her cat.

Maybe that's adulthood. Maybe that's growing up.

But really, nobody ever told her growing up would be this lonely.

She flicks the light on in the kitchen (that's got slightly rickety old cabinets and old counters - but it's her's and she can't believe she's lucky enough to say that) and stands on her tiptoes to get the cat food from on top of the fridge. She shakes the plastic container and then Luca is at her feet, meowing expectantly. Jennie walks over to Luca's food bowl, which sits next to the fridge, and she bends down. She gives her two scoops of food and a rub on her head before standing and putting the food back on top of the fridge.

She starts making herself a pot of coffee. She walks to the living room and grabs a manuscript before moving back to the kitchen and leaning against the edge of the counter, reading while she waits for the coffee to brew.

The early morning silence is nice - not that she'd voluntarily wake before the sun rises on a typical Saturday but she doesn't quite mind it. The coffee finishes and she pours herself some, fixing it with two sugars and just a splash of cream. She clicks her tongue against the roof of her mouth and snaps her fingers, "Come on, Luca, let's go watch the sunrise," she says, calling the cat to her side. Luca sidles up next to her, rubbing her body against Jennie's bare calf. She opens the sliding door and leans forward, resting her elbows on top of the railing. She cradles her coffee cup between her hands, taking small sips. She watches the sun rise over the city line and she feels Luca wrap her fluffy tail around her ankle, "How'd we get so lucky?" Jennie murmurs, looking down at the cat at her feet. She just looks up at her, emerald eyes wide. Jennie smiles, shaking her head. She knows the cat won't answer.