Sweety Tweety 2

"So, let me get this straight—even though there's nothing remotely straight about this."

"Har, har."

Soojoo ignores her, poking treats into the cage that Sweety impatiently gobbles up. "You're having your mother-in-law—"

"She's not my—"

"Fine, future mother-in-law, whatever," amends Soojoo with a roll of her eyes, "She's coming over for dinner tomorrow night so you want me to babysit your bird to prevent him from scarring her with sex noises."

"Yes," says Jisoo firmly; the glance she gives Sweety is torn between affection and exasperation. Sweety turns around as he scarfs down water, turning his back tail toward Jisoo. It's coincidence, she's sure, but Jisoo still huffs in incredulity. "Unbelievable, look at him. You can't tell me he doesn't know exactly what he's doing."

"Jesus, take the stick out of your ass. He's a bird."

"You say bird, I say ancient, all-powerful dinosaur."

"You don't say that, Sooyoung does. See, she didn't run for the hills the first time you brought her over for dinner here."

"Because you both were too busy flirting to pay attention to anything else."

Soojoo waves her hand as though it's inconsequential. "When Jennie brought her friends over for movie night, there didn't seem to be any problems there."

"Yes," says Jisoo dryly, "Because Yeri was too busy shoving so many treats down his throat he barely got the chance to speak, and Joohyun made up an excuse to leave the moment Sweety started talking."

"What about when your cousin visits?"

Jisoo deadpans her. "He's deaf, Soojoo. Not that that stops Sweety anyway. I had a headache for three days after that, he was screaming so loud." She sighs, sweeping a hand through her hair in agitation. "Look, this is important. Can you take him off our hands for a night or what?"

Soojoo gave her a crooked grin. "Yeah, course I can. I just like making you work for it." She surveys the way Jisoo stands so stiff-backed and still, eyes glued to Sweety. "What's got you so worked up, anyway? You've already met her mom, haven't you? Isn't this like your third or fourth dinner?"

Jisoo ran another hand through her hair, taking a deep breath. "Yeah, but this is the first time over here. She insisted here because she wanted to see where her daughter lives, we couldn't exactly say no just because..."

"Just because you have a sex parrot," finishes Soojoo. "Yeah, no, I can see how that wouldn't be a valid excuse."

"I don't want him to say something rude and freak out her mom. I want her to like me. I mean, it's important that she..."

Soojoo arches a brow. "It's important she likes you because...?"

Jisoo slants her a withering glare, certain Soojoo's just trying to drag it out of her. "Because it's Jennie's mom."

"Which matters because you..."

"Love her," finishes Jisoo, fighting not to smile as the words leave her lips, unwilling to give a smirking Soojoo the satisfaction. "I love her, so I want this night to be perfect."

Soojoo nods and sighs, clapping a hand on Jisoo's shoulder. "All right don't worry about it. You can count on me."

They can't count on Soojoo, as it turns out.

"Oh my God no," hisses Jisoo when she shows up at the back door carrying the cage.

"I'm so sorry." Soojoo doesn't particularly look sorry. The way Soojoo's lips are sucked in and her eyes are bright indicates she's about half a second away from bursting into laughter. She lifts the cage and pushes it into Jisoo's arm; Sweety chirps indignantly. "I tried, I did, but he won't shut up and my neighbors have already stopped by twice to complain, and I have a big project due in the morning and I can't concentrate."