Chapter 16: Decisive Dueling

Author's notes: (picture from Zeldapedia) Oh boy, y'all don't even know how anxious I am right now after uploading that last chapter. I'm taking the story (like I mentioned before) in a new direction and I hope people like it. That's the plan at least. I'm revving up for some interesting new plot points and my ending is already fully planned. Thank you all for staying with me on this wild ride. Peace out!

Song notes: Actually my favorite song of all time. Not only does it mean a lot to me for several reasons but actually applies well in this chapter too. Just maybe not in the ways you'd think.

Urbosa clapped her hands together and stood up after Revali's gamble. She looked around at the rest of the room, "Well, I'm tired of lounging around. I'm going to be heading outside to practice for our contest, I'll see you all in a bit."

"Sounds great, mind if I come with!?" Daruk asked, picking himself up off the ground. Urbosa could tell that he was feeling awkward with how this conversation has been going. She nodded to him and they both hurried out the door. Some more shuffling was heard and it seemed like only the Sheikah and Zora guards were left outside their room. Zelda and Revali were still glaring at each other while Mipha was in the corner twiddling her thumbs. It was obvious that she didn't know what to do. Link walked between the two feuding and walked up to her. 

"I'm sorry, but would you be able to go with Urbosa and Daruk? I need to talk to these two, privately," he signed, really stressing the private part. With a look of recognition, Mipha nodded her head. 

"I understand, I'll be in the courtyard with the other two if you need me," she said in a quiet voice before also rushing outside the door. The Zora guards followed her as she made her way down the halls and towards the training area. As soon as she left he turned around and clapped his hands loudly. Zelda and Revali were both momentarily distracted and looked towards him, sharing a similar reaction. They backed up in their seats in flash of fear, Link was furious. 

"I can not believe you two! What has gotten into you?! Zelda, I may be your retainer but you're like a sister to me. Why are you throwing my oath around like a trophy!" He signed quickly and she could see the anger on his face. His face adopted a scowl, his forehead wrinkled with the pure intensity of his displeasure. He let out a loud sign, closing his eyes and putting a hand on his forehead. 

"Link-" Revali tried to say before the blonde's eyes snapped back and the scowl was turned on him. 

"And you! I understand what you're trying to do but are you serious?! We've only been together for a week and you've already bet our relationship on a dare? What do you have to say for yourself?!" Link tapped his foot impatiently and awaited his response. Revali was stunned, he didn't know how to respond to this. He thought he was doing what a champion should do; it turns out that he might've misjudged the situation. Zelda had her hands in her lap and turned her eyes towards the floor. She instantly felt the shame bubble up in her stomach as she reflected on how she was acting. Revali was dead silent and the princess knew he was doing the same thing. 

"I- I'm sorry Link, this was all my fault. I just worry so much about you and I don't want you to get hurt on my watch," Zelda took her hands and put them on her knees. She looked up at him with eyes full of regret. 

"I understand that Zelda! But I'm not a kid anymore. I can make my own decision and decide who I put my trust in. I've been doing it for almost a full year by myself," he dropped his scowl and signed to her. The hero was still frustrated at how the two of them acted but took another deep breath, trying to calm himself down.