Are you a basilisk? Because when I caught sight of you, I froze.

The music rang loudly in Sirius's ears as he entered the tavern. He paused, searching the crowded room for a certain short blonde. The room was crowded, and it took a while to find her. He froze when he finally spotted her. His eyes were fixed on her as she danced. He couldn't help but notice how happy, how free she looked.

"I need agua!" yelled Kat to Marlene. Marlene nodded, and continued her crazed motions. When Kat made it to the bar after pushing through the crowd, she instantly spotted Sirius trying to look casual. "What, are you following me now?" Sirius had made his way to the bar and leaned casually against the counter.

"Nah. I just love 'The Hexers'. Though they're not as good as..." he racked his brain, trying to think of one of the bands Peter listened to. "As 'The Legendary Ladies' "

"You know the 'Ladies' ?" Kat asked so softly that Sirius almost doesn't hear it. She was in awe... Maybe Sirius wasn't so bad? But she couldn't let her guard down.

"Yeah. Don't you?" Sirius smirked. He pushed his long, dark hair back to reveal his forehead. "I saw you dancing out there..."

"Yeah?" Kat says, less impatient than before.

"I've never seen you look so -." Sirius says boldly right as the music stops. Everyone turns towards them laughing. Sirius, now blushing, grins embarrassedly. "Bloody hell."

" ... Thanks." Kat says finally as everyone's attention goes back to the performers.

"Come to the Prewetts' party with me." Sirius says, his sincere grey eyes making Kat turn away. She begins to walk back to Marlene. "Was that a yes?"

"No!" Kat yells over a loud drum solo.

"So that was a no?" Sirius yells after her, eyebrows raised.

"No." Kat yells back.

"See you at 9 then!" he shouts excitedly. The dopey grin doesn't leave his face, even after he left the bar and after he failed to sneak back into the castle. Not even when McGonagall gave him detention and marched him back to the dorms. Nothing could ruin this for him, not even James' abnormally loud snores.

****

"Bloody hell, you look hot... " James said, jaw hanging open as Bianca and Lily descended the steps in matching tight red leather dresses. Marlene raised her eyebrows and looked away.

"Smokin' " Sirius said with a wink. He saluted them all. "I'm off to pick up Kat."

"The party's here though. Why don't you just wait here for her?" Peter said, eyebrows furrowed.

"Because he's whipped." Remus said, sipping his firewhiskey.

Marlene nodded in agreeance. "It's adorable."

****

"Tie or no tie?" Frank called from in front of the mirror.

"Was that a serious question?" Regulus asked, poking his head out of the bathroom to glance worriedly over at his friend.

"No tie then?"

"Um no." Regulus said, combing his black hair back. Frank nodded and discarded the green polka dot tie.

"I'm just nervous, you know?" Frank said wringing his hands together. "I've never been to a real party before."

"And I have? Relax. We'll both stand to the side looking awkward together." Regulus said, turning to give his friend a reassuring smile.