THE END

Kat cleared her throat before reading from her notebook.

"I hate the way you talk to me,
And you overly long black hair.
I hate the way you play quidditch.
And I hate your puppy dog stare.
I hate your big dumb pranks, you prick.
And the way you read my mind.
I hate you so much it makes me sick.
It even makes me rhyme." 

Kat paused, lump growing in her throat. She looked over at the Mauraders to see Sirius had lifted up his head slightly and it was clear he was listening. Several students followed her gaze. Brushing her golden hair behind her ear, she continued.

"I hate it...
I hate the way you're always right.
I hate it when you lie.
I hate it when you make me laugh"

Kat looks up to meet Sirius's eyes again before continuing. The pause seemed to last infinitely long. Slow whispers reached her at the front of the classroom. After a tension filled sigh, she continued as her voice shook.

"Even worse when you make me cry.
I hate it when you're not around
And the fact that you didn't call,
But mostly... " 

Her eyes began to water. Through tears, she finished the poem. 

"I hate the way I don't hate you;
Not even close;
Not even a little bit;
Not even at all." 

She looked meaningfully at Sirius

She looked meaningfully at Sirius. He looked back at her this time, morose and thoughtful. Then she walked out of the room. Alice quickly got up and ran after her. The rest of the class broke the silence, buzzing with drama, and Binns could do little to quell it. 

Later that day, Kat walked to her practice alone, eyes still red. She had skipped class all day, opting to curl up in the Ravenclaw Tower and ear chocolate. Breakups weren't foreign to her but caring for someone this deeply, aching to be with them, this pain was new. 

As she passed an open doorway, she found herself pulled into an empty classroom. She whipped out her wand but was greeted with the sight of a shiny vinyl record.

She lowered her wand slowly, inspecting every detail. It was a "Hexers" album, including all the songs they'd listened to at that concert earlier in the year. A smile grew on her face and she closed her eyes, replaying the night in her head. Sirius appeared out of the dark and leaned in behind her.

"Nice, huh?

"Is this for me?" Kat asked incredulously, barely jumping.

"Yeah. I snuck out and bought it. You know, it's pretty coveted. More expensive than I thought. But I had some extra cash, you know. My asshole best friend bet me money to take out a really great girl."

Kat smiled. "Is that right?"

"Yeah, but I screwed up. I, um... I fell for her." He blushed and looked away. "And I want her back more than anything"

"Really?"

"It's not every day you find a girl who'll flirt with old Filch to get you out of detention

"It's not every day you find a girl who'll flirt with old Filch to get you out of detention. And play pranks with me. And dance like a bloody idiot with me. I can't imagine being with anyone else."

Kat covered her face. "Oh, god... you're so cheesy." She laughed, despite herself. Why couldn't she resist him? What about him made him impossible to hate?

"I will beg on my hands and knees if you don't take me back now." Sirius said. She met his eyes and smiled.

Taking this as a sign, they leaned in at the same time. They kissed for a brief, beautiful moment, as she wrapped her arms around his neck. Then, she broke it off suddenly.

"You can't just buy me a record every time you screw up, you know."

"Yeah, I know. But then, you know, there's always a dress or candy and maybe even one day a ring."

He winked and gave her another kiss, which she pulled away from again.

"And don't just think you can... " She began but he cut her off with a soft kiss.

"You're puzzling, Kat." he whispered, cupping her face. "But I love you."

For once, Kat was compelled to say: "I love you too." 

THE END