Did you make me your horcrux? Because my heart stopped when I met you.

The music pounded in Kat's ears as she entered the common room hand in hand with Sirius. She surveyed the rowdy crowd of red and gold, noticing the giant kegs of fire-whiskey in the corner and plenty of couples getting cosy near the fireplace. She quickly recognized a blonde girl in a red dress making out with a bespectacled boy.

"Oh Bianca." she muttered, stopping herself from trying to break them apart. Sirius caught where she was looking and frowned.

"Are you jealous?" Sirius asked, thick eyebrows furrowed.

"Helena, no. Definitely not." Kat responded, gagging at the idea of being with James Potter. She turned abruptly away from the sight and headed in the opposite direction, letting go of Sirius' hand. "It's just... "

Sirius followed close behind, waiting for her to continue, but she doesn't say anything else. "Well?"

"I- nevermind. I don't know what I was thinking telling you." Kat sighed. What was she supposed to tel Sirius? That she had trusted someone once, and nothing good had come out of it? That she thought Bianca was making the same mistakes as she did years ago? She hadn't told anyone what happened between her and a boy who she would rather not think about.

"Ouch. I'm seriously wounded." Sirius said, masking his hurt. He really thought she was finally warming up to him.

Kat continued walking, not really knowing what to do with herself. She wasn't usually the party type and she was enjoying it less and less the longer she stayed. She bumped into a moping Regulus and brushed past him hastily apologizing. Sirius nodded at his brother and continued chasing after Kat.

"It's fine, at least I didn't spill my drink." Regulus called after the pair. He glanced back at the fireplace and downed the remains of his cup. Marlene and Emmeline, who happened to be really sweet, were dancing somewhere in the crowd. He really was happy for Marlene. Frank had disappeared with a giggling Alice over an hour ago. And the girl of his dreams was making out with a conceited Gryffindor. Life was wonderful.

"Looks like you need another." Lily said, offering him a red cup filled to the brim. As she handed it to him, she spilled some.

"Thanks." he said. He took it out of her hands and chugged half of it. He could definitely feel a burning sensation in his throat. "Salazar, that tastes disgusting. Why am I still drinking it?"

Lily laughed and brushed red strands of hair out her face. He noticed her eyes were dazed. "I'm guessing you're drinking for the same reason I am. To distract." She giggled again.

"Yeah, well, it's not working." Regulus muttered, putting the cup down on a nearby table.

"I wish I could just forget about him. But of course he has to look good in a plain white shirt and jeans..." she sighed, looking longingly over at James. "He flirted with me ALL of last year. Then he just moves on! I thought he was toying with my feelings and maybe he was. Maybe he was serious and I should've said yes. I guess I took his crush on me for granted? I had my chance and... ugh, you know?"

"Mhm. How much have you drank?" Regulus asked.

The red-head grinned and held up 2 fingers. "5. Plus some shots here and there. I feel great." she said with a sloppy smile. She patted his shoulder. "Good talk."

"Maybe you should have some water or something?" he said, but she was already stumbling away towards Peter and Remus. Regulus sighed and leaned against the wall. Why did he think this plan was a good idea? Why did he fall for Bianca of all people? He closed his eyes.

"How can you sleep standing up? And with all this noise?" a deep voice questioned. Regulus' eyes snapped open as he processed the voice. His older brother stood in front of him, giving him an awkward smile.

"Hey Sirius."

"Reggie. You alright?"

"Managing." Regulus said, giving Sirius a weak smile. "Where's your girl?"

"She's talking to some chick with a mohawk and spiky jewelry. I chose to stay away." he shrugged. "And she's not my girl."

"But you like her." Regulus said with conviction.

"It's just some stupid bet James and I made. It's nothing." Sirius hesitantly said.

"I know when you're lying. I've only seen you lie a million times to mum and dad. You like her. A lot." Regulus said observing his brother's reaction.

Sirius shifted and ran a hand through his dark, curly hair. "I don't know. Anyways, are you being a loner because of girl troubles or something?"

"Smooth, Sirius. And I guess you could call it that."

"Do you like her, Reggie?"

"Well, yes, but-"

"Is she worth all your moping?"

"I thought so but-"

"Then tell her how you feel. She might reject you, but we're teenagers. You have your whole life to find a girl you love. So don't keep crying over this one." Sirius gently punched Regulus' shoulder. "Now, I'm gonna go after my girl."

"So you do like her then." Regulus said with a small smile.

"Let's just say I'm figuring it out."

He found Kat dancing on a table with the spiky girl rather provocatively. A crowd had formed around them and he could tell Kat was drunk. Kat tried to bow but ended up tumbling over the edge of the table. Eyes wide, Sirius rushed forward and deftly caught her, causing the crowd to cheer more.

"You okay?" he said, placing her on an empty stool.

"Amelia just gave me some fruit cocktail thing. Her family's recipe. Then we were dancing... Now I'm good." she nods. She tried to get back up, but fell back down onto the stool. "I just need to lie down."

"C'mon. You can sleep in my room."

"Aw thanks." she giggles. "You're like my knight in shining armor."

"What does that mean?" the oblivious pure-blood asked.

"It's a muggle thing. Trust me it's a good thing. " she giggles again. "My mum is... was a muggle."

"Was?"

"She left." Kat shrugged, stopping her giggling. "Didn't like or understand magic. I have no idea what happened to her after. And my dad's never acted normal again"

"Oh." Sirius paused. "I get that families can be hell. My family and I aren't even on speaking terms right now. That's why I rarely talk to Reggie."

"That sucks." Kat said, closing her eyes. She leaned backward, nearly falling off the bench until Sirius caught her again. "You know, you're actually pretty sweet."

"I can't believe you just realized how amazing I am." Sirius said teasingly.

Kat looked up at him, wide green eyes meeting his gray ones. Her sand-colored hair was slightly disheveled. His hand was still wrapped around her for support. She slowly leaned forward, closing her eyes.

She kissed him lightly and for a moment, Sirius couldn't think straight.