8 ~ Changed

"Do you feel like you've settled in?" James asks as we walk through the hall.

Pushing past a group of freshmen I shrug, "For the most part."

" I've been here for almost a month, as crazy as that seems. It's flown by in the blink of an eye but at the same time life in Atlanta feels like forever ago.

So much has changed, I've changed.

"Why the sudden interest?"

He gives me an innocent look, "No reason, I was just wondering when you'd start branching out."

"What do you mean?" There's not much that I haven't done already.

"I was thinking, maybe getting a girlfriend." He offers casually.

A laugh escapes, that's funny. "I don't do girlfriends. I don't date."

"Why the hell not?" He demands

"Never have, too much commitment. They're like dogs, you have to give them attention, tell them they're pretty and feed them. I like the freedom of riding solo." I explain and when he makes a judgy face I continue. "This is coming from the guy stuck with Avery, you're what I don't want to be."

No one wants to be like him, that's clear. A small part of me squirms. At one point I wanted a girlfriend, almost had one too but then my father happened.

Why date one girl when there's so many options? That's how my dating life began, a new girl whenever I wanted. I hate thinking about him, but it might've been the only sound advice he gave me. 

Relationships are a no go.

"Okay, I'm a bad example but you're telling me you don't want to date Scarlett?" He pushes.

I stop walking, his words taking me off guard. Me, date Scarlett? "Never, she's my friend and she's not the same type of friend Stella is to you."

He looks like he's seconds away from laughing so I start walking again, hopefully his delusions aren't contagious. Two attractive people can be friends without having the need to date.

This is what's wrong with society.

"Forget I said anything." He says as the bell rings.

Gladly, I'd prefer to keep my sanity.

*****

History sucks.

I've had the same thought in my mind for the last twenty minutes of class as I watch Scarlett copy the notes from the board. She's so far away.

The kid that sits behind her, Gabe, was sick all last week so I sat in his seat. Now he's back and I'm three rows behind her, I asked him to trade.

He wouldn't.

So now I'm stuck with nothing to do but pay attention, how miserable. I usually watch her take notes or pester her in some way, shape or form for attention. Although I haven't had to do that the past couple days, she's started talking to me on her own.

That gives me an idea.

Crumpling up a piece of paper I chuck it at her, holding back a laugh as it gets stuck in her hair. It takes three more tries for her to realize she's being hit, shaking her hair furiously.

Finally, she turns around, a scowl on her face. What? 

Hi. I wink to piss her off, looking down at my notes to pretend I haven't been staring at her for the entirety of class.