17 ~ Nerve

Do you want to hang out?

Rereading Gabe's text I toss a football in the air, really hoping to get a text from someone else. He asked me yesterday and while it'd be nice to hang with him, I was sorta hoping I'd have other plans.

I don't.

Ashton
I guess, you aren't gonna be weird tho?

Gabe
Never, meet at my place at 12

He sends his address as I get a Snapchat, anxiously clicking on the app I open the message from Scarlett. It's just a canvas, blank with no words.  I'm bothered to know she hasn't even opened my last snap.

She just sent streaks; she never does that.

Getting up I throw on a new shirt, not really caring how I look, it's just Gabe. Mom knocks on my door, startling me. "Are you going out?"

Looking at her through my mirror, I nod, "Yeah, Gabe asked to hang out." For a moment we just stare at each other, clearing my throat, I turn around. "I was just about to tell you."

She nods, "That's fine, will Scarlett be there?" 

Oh, that's what she wants to know. "No, she's busy today."

At least, I'm assuming so because she surely isn't talking to me but I'm not gonna mention that.

Mom just stands there and the tension we've had since yesterday is suffocating me. "Mom, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you. It's just, you know how I get on holidays, all the happiness and memories just don't click in my mind. Scarlett's my friend and I think she has a little bit of the same sadness I do, and I got defensive for her."

Obviously last night wasn't a happy occasion if the radio silence from all the Rhodes kids is evidence enough. To some extent I know how that feels and it's miserable.

"I'm sorry it happened; I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

She nods her head, evaluating me for a moment before sighing. "Ashton, I know days like yesterday are tough for you, but I always have good intentions."

Walking over I hug her, holding on for a moment to enjoy the safety I feel in her arms.

"Oh, and Ashton." She calls on her way out, "I like Scarlett, she seems sweet."

A laugh escapes as I grab my keys, then she really doesn't know Scarlett at all because sweet is the last word I'd use to describe her.

Approaching Gabe's door an hour later I'm taken back by how nice the house is, I was expecting it to look something like his cabin. I guess this hasn't been touched by the party scene.

Before I can knock a red headed woman flings the door open, "I'll call you later, Callie. Drew just bought the ring and I'm dying to see it!"

On her way out she bumps into me, falling to the ground. Helping her back onto her feet, I try to smile. "I'm sorry."

Leave it to me to bump into someone I know is coming.

The woman just stares at me as a voice in the doorway clears their throat. "And who might you be?"

Turning around, I find a woman with the same red hair as this lady and brown eyes as Gabe frowning up at me, her arms crossed over her body with a guarded look on her face. "I'm, um, I'm-"

Shit, why is she scaring me?

"That's Ashton, my friend, mom." Gabe offers as he appears over his mother's shoulder.

It takes a second but both women relax, his mom eyes me in a new light as she fights a small smile. "Interesting, nice to meet you Ashton, I'm Callie." She extends her hand she points to the woman I ran into, "And that's Hallie, my sister."