13 ~ Friends

Stopping in front of my house I check the time. 12:30, I'm a very dead man.

Saying a silent prayer, I open the front door expecting to find mom waiting in the dark. Lights are on everywhere, the TV blaring Frozen from the living room.

I attempt to tip toe, only making it halfway through the hallway. "Ashy, you're home!"

Well shit.

Two small bodies fling onto me, I stop and try my best to smile. "Munchkin, I need to shower." And call Sage, hopefully they made it home okay.

"Good, you're wet." I know that voice.

Saffron stands next to Ronnie, dressed in zebra pajamas. Well, I wasn't expecting this.

Before I can process this turn of events Ronnie gasps, "Ashy, your hands."

Shit, I forgot all about them. Finally looking down, my stomach churns, bruises and blood smeared across my knuckles. They shouldn't have to see me like this.

"Everything's okay girls." I assure them.

"It better be." Mom snips from the doorway.

I follow her into the kitchen with my head down, "I promise, it's not what it looks like."

"It looks like you got into a fight."

"Okay, that's exactly what happened, but I had a solid reason." I try to protest.

"Ashton, there's always a solid reason. We had a deal and you broke it." She scolds, trying to keep her voice down.

"He hit her." I whisper.

"What?"

"This guy, he hit Scarlett. By the time any of us got to her she was on the ground with blood pouring down her face. What did you want me to do mom, let him walk away like it never happened?" I challenge.

She blinks, trying to process what I just said. She needs to understand it was a onetime thing.

Drying my hands, I look her dead in the eye, "It killed me, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Punish me if you want, but I have no regrets."

I'd take whatever she gave me. Grounded, no biggie. No car for a month, done. No social life till after Christmas, gladly.

Instead of dishing out a punishment she grabs my hand, not bothered by the bloodied skin. "She's the girl, isn't she?"

"Yeah." I admit softly.

Mom smiles, rubbing her thumb across my hand. Something tells me she already knew that. "Is she okay?"

The fact that I don't know drives me insane. "Let's just say, it won't be Scarlett picking Saffron up tomorrow."

The kitchen door flies open, "Is Scar okay?"

Mom winces but I reach Saffron first. "She's absolutely fine, Squirt." I assure her, the guilt building as I take in her tears.

She latches herself onto my neck, sniffling in my ear. "Can I talk to her?"

Mom shakes her head, yeah that's not happening. But an idea forms in my mind. "No, she's really tired, but if you want to write her a note, I'll take it to her. I just need your address. Can you do that?"