57 ~ Children

"So, you're Ashton."

Shifting uncomfortably beside Gabe, I try to subtly look for Scarlett before turning my attention back to the guy in front of me. "Yeah, you're the infamous Emmy, right?"

He sucks on his teeth, eyeing me up before turning to RJ, "I don't see what she sees in him."

RJ shrugs, "I didn't either at first."

"He's not as attractive as I was expecting."

"Eh, he's okay."

What the actual fuck?

Gabe clears his throat, "Um, I don't know where you two are going with this but my dude is absolutely gorgeous. He could be a male model."

They glare at him as he motions to all of me and he sits back in his chair defensively. I don't know if I should thank him for sticking up for me or slap him for making it worse.

"Letty could do better." Emmy declares.

"So much better."

Cracking my knuckles, I snap, "I know what you mean, I definitely don't understand what's so special about you two."

Gabe falls into a coughing fit to hide his laughter as the duo glares at me. Whoops, the words slipped right out.

I know today's a busy day for Scarlett and everything; however, I wasn't planning on being left alone with these assholes. My temper can only take so much.

"You little shit-" Emmy starts just as a short, caramel haired girl I've learned to be Manny slaps his arm.

"You need to leave." She snaps, forcing him out of the seat. Emmy doesn't fight her, beginning to walk off when she calls for him to stop. "Don't leave without letting me see them."

He nods once before heading into the house.

Drew joins us, offering a hello to his cousin before joining Manny in her chair. Somehow, they manage to share a space that could barely hold Emmy.

She eyes me with an unwavering interest, "Where are you from?"

"Atlanta."

"What's your family like?"

"I have a mom and a dad, Liz and Mark. Although my dad isn't biologically or legally my dad. Ronnie's my little sister. We're somewhat normal, I guess." I offer tightly.

She smirks, "I know, I met them earlier."

Then why even bother asking me?

"How are your grades, Punk?"

Cracking my jaw at the nickname, I continue to play along. "I'd like to think they're pretty good."

"I need letters, Kid."

Of course, she does, "All A's and a B in algebra."

She nods, "Good enough. What're your plans for the future."

"Graduate early, go to Alabama, play football, get a degree in business." I repeat the plan I just went over with my counselor the other day. My future seems pretty set.

This captures her attention, "You're graduating early?

I nod, "A whole semester early, then I leave for college."

She turns to Gabe, "You didn't tell me that."

He shrugs, "Sorry, Letty got mad about us feeding you info, so she ruined a potential hook up. I'm not crossing her again."