33 ~ Trap

Do you want to get food?

I stare at the text Gabe sent me, trying to decide if I want to go or not. Scarlett will be busy for a while and I could use the distraction.

Ash
Sure

Mom knocks on my door before walking in, overly dressed for the cold weather. "We're about to head out, are you sure you don't want to come with us?"

They're going to the Opryland Hotel to see the Christmas lights and ice skate. I was going to ask Scarlett if she wanted to change our plans to go too when she canceled.

"No, I don't want to be too far away in case she texts."

I feel bad, I haven't really spent much time with my family over break. At first, I was too preoccupied being around Scarlett. Then I was missing Scarlett and now I'm too busy spending all my time with her to make up for lost time.

It's definitely a change that I'm happy with. Ever since I realized I love Scarlett, being around her is all I can focus on.

"Alrighty, let me know if you go anywhere."

I nod but as she begins to close the door, I wonder something. "Hey, Mom." she stops, poking her head back in. "Why didn't you tell me?"

We haven't addressed the outburst I had after learning she knew all along. I never asked her even though it took me an entire day to talk to her again. I was hurt but now I'm more curious.

She never does anything without reason.

Mom sighs, walking over to my bed. "Honestly, Ashton, at first I didn't believe it but then once Kim and I talked I thought Scarlett would tell you."

Join the club.

Mom tightens her scarf, "When it became obvious she wasn't going to tell you, I almost did but I stopped myself. There are some decisions parents have to make knowing they'll hurt their child."

What in the world is she talking about?

"My personal feelings caused me to act poorly towards her and in return the other Rhodes kids and I'm sorry for that. It was childish and immature of me." She admits. "I could see how much you cared for her, it's a beautiful gift to watch your child fall in love."

Oh, that word. Of course, she knew, "How long did you know before me?"

She knows everything before I do, it's frustrating.

A knowing smile appears on her face. "Your dad made a comment the night we pieced together you were jealous. How boys who guard their hearts only get jealous over the real deal. I brushed him off of course but watching you at Thanksgiving is when I began to see it too. It was the night you came home from Scarlett's after studying that I really think you began to fall."

Even though we had a massive night at home, that's still one of my favorite memories with Scar. It was special to get to know so much about a person, to choose them over reality.

"I knew if you were seriously in love that you would need to hear it from her, no matter how you found out. So I let you get hurt."

Guilt is evident on her face, but I can't stop smiling. "Thank you, Mom." I pull her in for a tight hug.

I definitely needed to have that conversation with Scarlett. It changed everything for us.

*****

"Dude, can you please at least pretend to have fun." Gabe kicks me.

I sigh, flicking my fries, "Sorry."