39 ~ Shame

"Dude, Stella has concealer if you want it."

Taking a doughnut from Gabe's box, I shake my head, "I'm good."

Plus, if I've learned anything from the several times James has used his girlfriend's concealer, it isn't my shade. The guys share a look before Gabe shakes his head. "You have a death wish."

"No, I don't."

"I bet that Scarlett kicks your ass before school even starts." Zev offers.

"No, it will be during lunch. She'll punch him, then kiss him." James counters.

I'd be okay with that. My thoughts begin to wander when Gabe laughs. "Obviously you two don't know Scarlett but I'm more than willing to bet. There will be no kissing, but a panic attack before third period. I'm also willing to wager that she has one to."

"What makes you so sure?" I ask, not wanting to burst his bubble just yet.

"Well I'm going to guess that you were the one who started the whole encounter because she certainly wouldn't. So you did whatever it was you did and then she followed." He says casually.

I stare is him in mild horror, "How would you know that?"

He shrugs, "I'm a pro, I tend to know how these things go."

We walk into school, "Well, you're wrong about the last part." I think I'd know if she had a hickey.

They head towards the lockers while I go the opposite direction, "Where are you going?"

"To class, sorry, Zev, but you've already lost."

They try to protest but I'm long gone. Scarlett said they were running late today, and I don't want to be around our friends alone. So I'll just wait for her in class. The door is locked so I pull out a book to pass the time. 

"Hello, Mister McClain." A cheery voice greets me.

Peeking up from my book I'm surprised to find my teacher smiling at me as she unlocks the door. "Morning, Ms. Miller."

"Where's Miss Rhodes?" She asks, genuinely interested.

Someone took their happy pills today. "She's running late."

I expect her to say something else, but she stays silent, opening the door and shuffling to her desk. As I take my usual seat in the back, I try not to think about it. she's a weird teacher.

The bell rings and I go to put my book away, finding Scarlett already in her chair with a horrible look on her face. Before I can ask her what's wrong, she's resting her head. Looking at Ella and Stella I motion to her, silently asking what's wrong but they silently stare at me. 

Class goes by painstakingly slow, Scarlett never picking her head up. Maybe she has a migraine. Once the bell rings, I don't even get a chance to talk before she's dragging me through the hall, not caring if she hits anyone.

I'm trying to apologize as she drags me, ending up in an empty classroom. She looks like she's in the verge of a panic attack. "Are you feeling okay?" I ask, trying to feel is she has a fever, but she slaps my hand away. 

"Why didn't you tell me you had that?" She demands, pointing at my face.

What is she... oh. "I thought you knew. I mean you are the one who put it there."

It genuinely didn't cross my mind to say anything. Sage joked around yesterday but the more I thought about it the more I assumed she knew. It makes sense. Plus, it's not really something you just mention. Like, hey, I hope you had a good nap. Oh, by the way, thanks for the hickey.