26 ~ Present

I will not snap at mom.

I repeat that phrase as I pull into the driveway, knowing I should've been home two hours ago. It's not my fault I wanted Scarlett to wake up.

Sneaking into the house, I make sure the door shuts quietly behind me. Maybe I can pretend I was in my room for a while.

"You're finally home."

I jump, turning to find my Abuela watching me, a grin on her face. "Would you believe me if I said I got home an hour ago?"

She chuckles, "No, but your mom doesn't have to know that."

I knew there was a reason she was my favorite.

After begging Abuela to make me lunch, I attempt to wrap the gifts I have for everyone. It's nothing major, but Sage dropped the ball on what he got James and then asked me what I got him.

I've never had friends to buy gifts for before. I've never had friends buy me gifts.

Wrestling with the tape on Saffron's pink boxing gloves, I run through the gifts. Sage, Ella, Stella, James, Gabe, the twins, Saff, Ronnie, and even Sam are taken care of.

Wait a second...

"Shit!" I shout, officially panicked.

"Ashton Brecken," I get scolded.

How did this even happen? I was at the mall, and I bought all of the gifts. But I couldn't pick between a sketchbook and a book of quotes. Neither seemed right.

Running into Abuela's room, I throw a sweatshirt over my head. "I'm going to the mall, never bought a gift for Scar. I'm so dead."

I'm halfway out of the room before she can respond. "Stop."

I do, not even my panic can stop me from disobeying her.

"What do you want to get her?"

No idea, something that screams let's be more than friends. They don't exactly print that on a shirt. "Something."

"Tell me things you think she'll like." She orders.

And I do. "She likes art, but I don't know what supplies are good. She likes to hit people occasionally, but I don't think I could give her what I gave Saffron. She likes to read but books are tricky. She likes..." I begin to falter, unsure of what to say. "Green."

"That's her favorite color?"

"No." I admit sheepishly, "I like green on her, she likes lavender."

Someone kill me now.

Abuela eyes me, her beady eyes peering into my soul. "Bring me my jewelry box."

My eyes begin to wander, landing on the box she never leaves home without. Nothing matters compared to what's in that box, I think she'd sell her car before giving up anything inside it.

Handing it to her, she rummages through it with a purpose. I'm beginning to think she's lost her marbles when she snaps. "You like green for her?"

Duh, "Yes."

"Have you thought about jewelry?"

I snort, "No, she doesn't wear it much." Although I did notice that spider necklace in a bunch of pics for a while.

"Well then, maybe she should start." She replies, holding out her hand.

An emerald ring gets dropped into my palm, simple and worn with age. "You've officially gone insane." A pillow whacks my face. "Sorry, but this is obviously important to you. It's just Scarlett."