46 ~ Dating

I'm dating the love of my life.

The only problem I have with my life right now, is the fact our relationship is a secret. Scarlett didn't want to cause an upset so we're keeping it quiet. Which pretty much sucks since it's a great topic of conversation, at least for me.

However, the stressed expression Scarlett's worn all morning is a more pressing matter.

"You okay?" I ask, tugging on a curl as we walk to her locker after first period.

"Hm, oh, I'm fine." She offers hurriedly.

Bullshit, I send her a pointed look.

"I'm just stressed." She admits with a long sigh.

"Custody?" I ask, knowing the next month isn't going to be easy.

"That, on so many levels. College. The fact that my future is one big question mark doesn't help." She snips, panicking all over again.

I grab her shoulders, now is not the time to focus on that. "Is there anything I can do to help you?"

"I could use a hug." She offers meekly.

"Now, that I can do." I smirk, hugging her into me.

Waiting for her to let go, I try to think of something to make her smile.

"Happy one week!" I say brightly, knowing I've succeeded as she smiles. "I would've gotten you coffee, but I was running late."

Now in a full out grin, she flicks my nose. "I don't need coffee, you dweeb."

I'm beginning to think maybe she should take a break from caffeine.

"Good, now get to class." I order, kissing her quickly.

She gasps but I'm already gone.

Whistling for the first half of gym, James pelts me with a basketball. "What the hell is up with you?"

Shrugging, I toss the ball to Sage who does a rather impressive job of playing stupid. "Nothing, just woke up on the right side of the bed."

"For a whole week?" He deadpans.

I shrug, "Got a new pillow."

He watches me before darting his attention to Sage, who avoids him. "I'm asking Gabe."

"Why?" I ask, letting out a laugh.

He crosses his arms defiantly, "He always knows these things."

I don't think Gabe knows this one. For once I think I've pulled one over his head.

Suck on that.

*****

"Something's obviously up." Gabe harasses me on our walk through the lunch line.

"Is it?" I mock, picking up a chocolate chip cookie.

A punch gets thrown to my side. "I'm going to figure it out and when I do, it's over for you."

Snorting, I head back to the table. Sure thing.

Setting my tray down, I expect a hello but everyone stares at me. So now everyone is on board with the what's making Ashton smile mission. Great. Setting the cookie on Scarlett's napkin, I find her reading a piece of paper.

The same paper she spent half of fourth period obsessing over– the college project rubric.

"Sweetheart, you've been staring at that rubric for thirty minutes." I start, gently attempting to pull the paper from her hands.