35 ~ Win

"Make way for the King!"

Rolling my eyes at Sage's dramatics as we enter the locker room, I open my locker. It doesn't really matter if I've taken the offer or not, his loud ass is still bragging to everyone under the sun.

Stretching my arms out, I groan, "Shut up, dude."

"What's wrong, McClain?" Jake Bowman asks, yanking his shirt off. "Suddenly too good for a little work?"

Cracking my jaw, I try to ignore the sudden urge to punch him. Ever since I bailed on that party, he's been distant, now really isn't the time to start running his mouth.

"Have a little resp..." Sage's voice dies down as he faces Jake, paling drastically as he shuts his mouth.

"Respect is that last thing you should be lecturing me on, don't think anyone's forgotten." Jake starts, eyeing him with a sickening gleam.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Sage offers, sounding like a scared two-year-old.

He snorts, "Maybe tonight will jog your memory."

What the hell is going on? Gabe stands by his locker in a tank top, completely stoic to the situation. "Shut up, Bowman."

Jake's eyes land on him, "You think you're protected now? If anything, you put an even bigger target on your chest. Don't try to protect others."

No one's laughing, all the others watching on just as lost as I am.

"Don't you worry about me, Bowman, the big times don't pick weak links. Who's interested in you again?" I smirk at the twitch of his jaw. "No one."

Some of the guys let out "ohs" but there's still a tension in the air that doesn't dissolve until he leaves the room.

Grabbing my towel, I nudge Sage, who hasn't moved. "What the hell was that about?"

Slowly, he blinks, "Nothing, Bowman's just being an ass."

No, he's always an ass. Today he was being rude with a purpose.

"Come on," Sage closes his locker, "we have thirty minutes till class starts."

Begrudgingly, I follow, not wanting to drop the topic.

Twenty-five minutes later, I find Scarlett by her locker and I want to ask about Sage, but I stop myself. I can't worry her with the fear of something being wrong when it's probably nothing. I mean, Jake is an ass but he's not going to do anything.

It's just locker room banter.

So instead, I hug her. "Morning, Sweetheart."

Hugging me back, she sips her coffee. "You're way to cheery for someone who had morning work outs at 5:30."

Laughing, I take her bag. "Unlike some people, I love mornings."

There's no chaos as the day begins, almost like I get to watch the world reset itself from the wrong doings of the past.

She groans in response and I take the opportunity to admire her cheer uniform. "Are you ready to cheer tonight?"

Nodding, she grimaces, "Yeah, as long as I don't embarrass myself."

I let out another laugh, "Sweetheart, I think you'll do just fine."

If she cheers as good as she looks then she'll kill it.

She smiles, turning her head so I can't see, and it makes me beyond happy. My bliss is ruined by the arrival of our friends.

"What's there to blush about?" Gabe asks, sliding up next to Scar. "Trying to remember what I look like naked?"