36 ~ Lover Boy

I've never had much love for Valentine's Day.

Growing up I spent it watching mom and dad kiss and go out. Then, once I got older, I used the holiday to my advantage. Girls are desperate for any type of affection and who was I to neglect them.?

It's disgusting but this year is different, I'll have myself a Valentine before the day's done.

"Good morning, lover boy." Gabe chirps, joining me in the parking lot.

I glance at the bundle of identical cards he's shoving in his pocket, "Really, you couldn't get any more creative? And why do you insist on calling me lover boy, it's weird?"

The nickname was funny the first three times I heard it, now people just give us odd looks. The last thing I need people thinking is that I'm dating Gabe of all people.

The horror.

"That's what I said." Zev says, proudly displaying a selection of different cards.

I groan, grabbing my backpack from the ground. "That's not what I meant either."

We begin to walk, Gabe stopping twice to give out cards. The girls both turn red, the second one almost fainted. "Okay, lover boy, where's your Valentine if you're so much better than us."

Opening the door, I slap the back of their heads, "Enough with the nickname." 

They laugh, "Easy there, we didn't come up with it."

"Then who did?" I demand, trying to make it through the hall without bumping into people.

"Ella did, I believe back in November. Scarlett hated it so she adopted it is your nickname."

Scarlett's friends call me lover boy. "What kind of hate was it? Like an I don't like him or you're embarrassing me because it's true." I question, trying to figure out which one it is because there's a difference. One means no feelings and the second one means feelings.

No one says anything and I look to find them both fighting back laughter, "What?"

"Dude, get a grip." Gabe throws his arm over my shoulders.

"You look more desperate than the girls Gabe's flirting with." Zev agrees, dodging the jab Gabe sends his way.

"I'm not desperate." I just have no idea how she feels about me. They share a look while Zev hands a card to Mia Jones, not even stopping to see her reaction. "Besides, I have a plan."

A very well thought out plan that will definitely surprise her. It's been two months and I need to make a move.

"Alright, lover boy, does your plan include the fact that Scarlett hates this holiday?" Gabe asks, pointing towards the lockers we always end up at.

The smile falls off my face as I process his words, I didn't know that. I didn't mention this day to her at all because I didn't want to seem obvious. Who hates Valentine's Day?

Someone who had a shitty ex-boyfriend, that's who.

Finally looking at her my heart falls into my stomach, she's certainly dressed to show her hate. If the word loveless stamped across her shirt didn't give it away, then the Doc Marten's and scowl certainly do the job. Although, someone gave her coffee, maybe I should've thought of that.

Leaning against her locker, I take in the rest of our friends. The two other couples completely lost in their own little worlds. Stella looks ready to jump James and it's not even eight a.m. yet.  

"Happy Val-"

"Nope." Scarlett shuts Zev up, throwing her hands in the air and almost hitting me in the face.