23

"How are you today Hagrid?" Maurelle asked as she tightened her hat to her head. The cold was beginning to settle in and her mother had made sure to send her winter knitwear. 

"Oh I'm good, thank you, though Fang ain't liking the cold weather." He said, pointing to the sulking dog in the corner, cuddled up near the fire. "I forgot to mention to ya, I ain't losing my job no more." 

"Really?! That's fantastic news!" Maurelle exclaimed. 

"Yeah, Dumbledore said it was because Lucius changed his mind. I almost collapsed in disbelief, a man like Lucius Malfoy changing his mind to help an old half-giant like me? Never." He said before taking a sip of tea. 

Maurelle looked at her lap with a smile. She knew Draco had a heart. A shadowed, concealed heart but it was there nonetheless. 

After a long chat, Maurelle left Hagrid's as the first of the snow began and she smiled even wider. Even though she was still hurt about Draco wanting the affection of Pansy Parkinson, she couldn't fault him if he liked her. But that didn't mean she felt a pang of disappointment. 

The redhead quicked her pace to the castle. She had to talk to him. 

"Maurelle!"  

She spun around to see Harry jogging towards her, trying not to slip on the ice. 

"Harry," She greeted. 

"I just saw you coming from Hagrid's..."

"Oh yes! Oh, Harry, it's wonderful, they're not firing Hagrid!" She giggled in joy and Harry wore a look of astonishment. 

"That's brilliant!" He said, pulling her into a hug and she laughed along with him. Both were happy that Hagrid would be staying. But Harry couldn't help wonder what changed the mind of Lucius Malfoy. It had to have been Draco, and that led Harry to believe that a certain redhead had changed his mind, and he didn't mean Ron.