An Awkward Encounter (Post-Breakup)

{Word Count: 664}

You wandered down the aisles, desperately trying to remember what it is you came into the store for. You looked at your cart full of a bunch of junk you didn't necessarily need. "What is it that I needed?" You muttered to yourself, angrily turning the corner.

Your cart crashed against another, the sound of metal clashing against metal and groceries flying filled the air. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I wasn't thinking and —" Your eyes met the large brown eyes you were so used to gazing into months ago, you stopped talking, you weren't expecting to see his dark eyes ever again, but here you were — staring into them as if it were your first time to see such chocolate pools.

His eyes turned into tiny crescents, that's how you knew he was smiling. You pulled your gaze away, having stared for far too long now. "It's okay." His thick voice spoke softly, instantly calming your nerves. You let out a deep sigh, staring into your cart, an item of his had fallen into yours. You grabbed the razors, "Don't use these, they gave you razor bumps last time." You smiled weakly, handing them to him.

His hand brushed against yours as he grabbed the pack of razors, softly giggling to himself, "Right..." He tossed them aside.

You both awkwardly stood there for a few more seconds, both of you anxiously waiting for the other to break the silence.

Chris spoke first, "How have you been, Y/N?" He asked. You avoided his eyes, "Okay. And you?" You secretly hoped he would tell you about his day, like he used to — but instead, he replied with "Same." Leading to another long silence.

"I should go, I have to study..." You pulled your cart away from his, turning it back around to go back to where you had came from.

"You forgot the paper towels." He whispered, almost as if he didn't want you to hear. "You always forget the paper towels."

Tears lined your eyes, "Of course, that's what I came here for." You quickly turned the corner, brushing away the tears that had formed against your eyes. You refused to let him see you cry.

You turned around, looking back at him, he was examining another set of razors. "Gillette." You called out, "Gillette always have you the closest shave."

He smiled at you once more, this time it was a small sad smile. He turned around to grab a new pack, and you quickly pushed your cart down another aisle.

You weren't prepared to see him, four months weren't nearly long enough to forget what buying groceries together was like. You continued to push your cart until you reached the checkout line, praying that he wouldn't show up behind you because you just might say something stupid and cry.

As the cashier started to scan your items, Chris set his stuff down behind yours. You pretended to not notice him, anxiously watching at the cashier rang up your total.

You pulled out your card, swiping it against the pin pad. "You haven't changed your card, huh?" Chris pointed at your customized debit card of the both you smiling happily. "Oh, I guess I keep forgetting to custom make a new one." You replied blankly.

He pulled his out, a picture of you plastered on the card. You giggled at the card, "You kept yours too then."

He nodded, "Sometimes I look at it and ask myself if you'd let me waste this much money on such nonsense."

You laughed again, grabbing your bags.

"It was real nice seeing you, y/n." He said, helping you with one of the bags. "You too." You flashed him a small smile before leaving.

It had taken everything inside of you to not ask to meet up someday, things were awkward enough as they were. You loaded your groceries into your car, all you could think about now was how much you missed him..