When You're Dating His Best Friend

{word count: 849}

With summer break coming to an end and all of your friends leaving for college, your boyfriend, Yugyeom has decided to throw one last party.

Deep down, you knew this was mostly a "going away party" for Chris, Yugyeom's childhood friend who had decided to study abroad for 2 years. There hadn't been a day where Yugyeom and Chris weren't together, they were practically brothers — always joined by the hip.

While most people thought it was odd that Chris was so close to your relationship, you had become rather close to Chris as well, and knew you'd miss him always barging in on you and Yugyeom.

You set more drinks on the table, looking up to see Yugyeom canon ball into the pool with his suit. 'Wouldn't be the first suit he ruins by doing that' you thought to yourself, pouring a bit of champagne into your glass of orange juice.

The loud music continued to burst through the walls as you made your way up the stairs and into Yugyeom's room. "I thought I'd find you here." You smiled as you entered the room, Chris was sprawled out on the bed.

"Yep." He replied meekly.

You sat down beside him, taking a sip of your drink. "Why aren't you downstairs enjoying the party? It is all for you, after all."

Chris stayed silent.

You nudged his foot with your hand, "I know it's a lot to process, moving away from here and so far away. Yugyeom won't shut up about how much he's going to miss you.." Your words trailed off.

He pushed himself up. "I know." His breath smelled like watermelon flavored vodka.

He rested his hand upon yours, sitting beside you in silence.

"Are you okay?" You looked over at him, his eyes were puffy and red.

"No? Yes? Maybe? More no than yes." He let out a sigh, the stingy smell of fruit and barf filled the room for a few seconds.

"There is someone I like. And if I could tell them I like them without the fear of any consequence, I would. I would hold them and tell them reason upon reason as to why I like them. But it is more than obvious to know that this person, the one I like, has no interest in me. There is no point in humiliating myself by telling them I like them, knowing that I am aware they don't feel the same. But yet, even after coming to the painful conclusion that they do not like me, and I should not like them. My heart aches for this person. And it's killing me not being able to tell them."

His eyes were glued to the blank wall in front of him, hand not moving from yours. "I thought if I left the country to study abroad, I would be able to leave it at peace. But I couldn't leave it at that. It has to be said." A tear rolled down his cheek.

"For the longest time, I have been in love with this person. I knew it the moment I saw them that they were someone who was going to mean everything to me. And slowly, but surely, they did. But I wasn't the only one who felt the same. Unfortunately for me, they fell for the other person. I never held a grudge, or felt angry, or sad, or anything. I just wanted them to be happy. And they were. And they are."

He squeezed your hand as he continued to talk, his words slowing down. "I think you figured it out by now, who they are. I'm really sorry, Y/N. I thought that with time the feelings would go away, but they just grew stronger."

You pulled your hand away, "Chris.. I.."

"Please don't hate me." He wiped a few tears from his eyes. "I just didn't want to leave without having told you how I felt."

He looked over at you, "I am so happy you are with someone as great as Yugyeom. He's taken such great care of you, and he loves you so much. I love you so much. But I love him more, and in no time he's going to propose to you.. I don't want to be in the way with any hard feelings."

"Is this the reason why you're leaving?" You asked.

He nodded.

Silence filled the room.

"I don't want you to be mad at me. Or him to be mad at me. I promise this trip is mostly for me to get rid of these feelings. I understand you are with him, and it is so wrong of me to like my best friend's significant other. But I also understand if you are mad. Just.. Please don't tell him. I want to tell him on my own time."

You nodded, smiling sweetly at him. "Thanks for being so honest Chris."

He nodded, "yeah.. maybe in another life we worked out."

You giggled, "maybe."

"I'm going to go now." He stood up.

"Take care of yourself, Chris."

He nodded, stumbling towards the door.