Time Capsule

{word count: 1927}

You and Chris have been friends for as long as you can remember. It felt like just yesterday the tiny boy with the kind eye smile approached you at the sand pit asking you if he could also bury his toys with you. The rest? History. From that moment on, you and him were inseparable — attached by the hip is what people said about the both of you.

Since the age of 7, he had always made it his purpose to be "your valentine" — he always brought you a flower and some candy. It was an innocent gesture that continued through your teenage years. And though you knew it was platonic, a part of you couldn't help but imagine that maybe one day it would mean something more.

You were both 21 now, sitting awkwardly on a bench that directly faced the sand pit where you both first met. "It's been a while." He chuckled, trying to break the silence. You just nodded, staring up at the clouds — it was sure to snow soon.

"I'm sorry for randomly asking you to meet, it's just been such a long time —" He started rambling on, you continued to stare up at the sky — only half listening to what he was saying. It has been a year since the both of you ever seen or even spoke to each other. As friendships do, they fall apart — and this one was no exception. Somewhere along the lines the small wish for his Valentine's Day gestures to be romantic grew into a desire — a jealous one as soon as he started dating someone.

Small promises such as "you'll always be my best friend" and "I'll always be here for you" were just comforting words used to ease the jealousy you had towards his s/o. It worked for the first few months of their relationship — but as time flew by, and they became closer — you felt yourself drifting away from Chris. He never really seemed to notice, and you never seemed to want to speak about it. He was happy after all, and you really had no say in who he could date and not date. Though it would've been nice if it was you, wouldn't it had been?

"I remembered when we were like 10 we made a time capsule and buried it around here." He let out a short string of giggles, a soft sigh followed. "The day you said we couldn't be friends anymore I wanted to grab you by you shoulder and yell at you 'what about the time capsule? we said if we ever stop being friends we need to go dig up the time capsule!' , but the look you gave me that day let me know everything I needed to know."

You looked over at him, he was also staring up at the sky — fingers fiddling with one another, he had always had that habit. "What did you find out?" You asked. He stopped moving his fingers, letting his hands rest on his lap.

"That nothing I said or did would make you change your mind."

You stayed silent, in a way he wasn't wrong. Perhaps at the time of your friendship breakup you were too consumed with the way you felt that you didn't take into consideration how he felt.

"I never hated you for that by the way." He added, "But I always wondered if you hated me.. Did you?"

You stared at the ground, the first few snowflakes have started to slowly make their way down from the sky. "No."

No further questions were asked after that, a small uncomfortable silence that fell upon the both of you. If snowflakes hitting the ground made an actual sound, you swear you could hear it.

"We should dig up the time capsule." He finally got up from his seat, white flurries quickly glazing a small layer over where he sat.

You pushed yourself up, following after him. The cold wind whipped against your face, making you tighten the scarf around your lower half.

Chris kept his hands shoved into his pockets, head bowed down — he took short quick steps, never looking back to see if you were following behind.