When He Proposes But You're Not Ready

{Word Count: 1013}

Chris sat anxiously on the bench while waiting for you to arrive. His leg bounced up and down  as he continued to search the area for any trace of you. Fiddling around with the box in his hand, he thought of how today marked a year with you, and he felt like he was finally ready to pop the question.

Popping the question isn't an easy choice to do, but deep inside he knew that you were the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. Everything that came with the commitment that is marriage - he wanted. All the ups like having kids, buying a house, going on dates — and all the downs like arguments, and days where work is hard, or kids get frustrating.

He vividly remembered the day he first met you — he was in the middle of walking Berry when he passed by you sitting on this bench. Berrie immediately took a liking to you, or more the hot dog you had in your hand — tugging on his leash towards you. It caused an awkward and flustered Chris to turn a bright shade of red and offer to buy you another hot dog for the one you dropped for the pooch to eat.

It made sense, to Chris. You made sense to him. There were times where he would lay in bed and wonder what would've happened if Berry hadn't pulled towards you, if you didn't give Berry food, if he hadn't asked you on a date to get another hot dog, if you had not been on that bench that one day in July. But because it did happen, and because nothing in this world made sense without you — he wanted to make sure you knew and to ensure that you will stay forever by his side.

He looked down at his phone, it wasn't like you to be running late. Fifteen minutes had passed and there was no sign of you. "Where are you?" He typed out in the text bar. Not a minute went by before he heard you, out of breath, say the words "I'm here!"

He giggled at the sight of you running, cheeks flushed red and a small amount of sweat dribbled against your forehead, making your hair stick to it. You continued to take deep breaths, plopping down next to him. "Sorry I'm late, did you wait long?" He shook his head, clinging on to the box. It was now or never.

"I've been thinking..." He started, suddenly feeling a bit more nervous than before. He could feel his sweat make the velvet box a bit damp, and his heart beat fast and hard against his chest, and his stomach tying in knots that made him want to throw up.

You looked over at him curiously, you've never seen him this nervous before. "We've been together for a year and I just love you so incredibly much." Chris choked out, he squeezed the box even tighter. "I need to ask you something."

Your heart fell down to your stomach knowing exactly where this was going. You watched in horror as he knelt down onto the ground and pulled out a tiny box. "Will you marry me y/n?" He opened the box revealing a silver ring with a small diamond placed in the middle.

"Please just get off of the dirt." You said after a few seconds of silence. You should've stopped him sooner, maybe told him that you wanted to break up. It wasn't that you didn't like him, but you didn't love him. At first you thought with time you could get used to him, but as more time passed and the more gestures he did you — you couldn't bring yourself to do it. You felt horrible of course, anyone would. But with something as big as this, you had to tell him the truth.

"I'm confused..." He frowned, slowly lifting himself from the groin and placing the box between the small space in between you both. You stared at the ground, struggling to pull your gaze to meet his — "I think we should just break up."

silence

"W-was it something I did?" He finally asked. You stayed quite. "Just answer me, please."

"The truth is... I don't know." You finally sighed, a big weight lifted from your chest as you looked over at the man who's world had just been shattered. "I thought about it for weeks at a time, wondering if this is truly what I wanted — and I don't. I was meant to tell you sooner, I'm sorry."

I'm sorry is all you could say. I'm sorry.

"I can change y/n." He muttered softly, "I can change and be the man you need me to be."

You shook your head, "You don't need to change."

He looked over at you, tears trickled down his eyes and fell onto the bench. "Then why don't you want me the way I want you?"

"I'm not sure."
- "What's going to happen now?" He asked
"I'm going to leave. We're probably never going to speak ever again, and it's okay — I won't blame you for that. In a few years from now you'll meet someone else you know? They'll love you in ways I never could. And when you do propose to them, they'll happily say yes."

He stayed quite.

"I don't want you to hate me, but I understand if you do."

More silence.

"I meant to do it a lot sooner Chris. I didn't really think you would ask me to marry you.."

Another silence followed.

"I'm sorry."

"Can you just take the ring?" He asked.
You frowned in response, watching as he grabbed the small ring and held it up towards you. "I don't want it." He added.

You smiled softly, accepting the ring into the palms of your hand and watching him get up and leave. Though you were the one to break his heart, yours shattered in a completely different way — leaving you empty as you watched him slowly disappear from sight.

Author's Note: This is another old one shot i kind of revised/edited a tiny bit. I mentioned it earlier but I'm in the middle of transferring old au's/one shots to wattpad so a lot of things are going to be old works of mine. :)