DOLLS- Chapter 16

DOLLS

Chapter 16

Too many days

Ryan's POV

My head slowly lifted up off the soft pillow, my eyes slowly opened and saw I was in my room. I suddenly felt confused and almost fell out of my bed. The smell of pancakes and bacon woke me up instantly. My feet shuffled across the white carpet. The inside of my mouth had a nasty taste to it. Once I got to my door my fingers wrapped around the handle, swinging it slowly open.

A faint humming noise caught me off guard and I followed the noise down the hallway, into the living room, and eventually to the kitchen.

My mom was standing there cooking. She never cooks; I closed my eyes and took in the scent. I moaned in satisfaction of the smell and walked over to her.

"Oh." startled she took a step back until she realized it was me. "You scared me, sweetie." She then tucked her hair behind her ear. I looked into her eyes, she looked scared. It's not like I jumped out of nowhere.

"Why am I here?" I looked around the fair sized kitchen and back to her.

"Don't you remember? We brought you home last night; the doctors agreed the hospital environment just added more stress." Mom then placed the sausages onto a plate.

"Stress?" I slowly remembered a man coming into my room. "This man came in my room." What did he look like? Why couldn't I remember him?

"Honey doesn't think about it, the doctors settled it." My mind trailed deep in thought. "Ryan?" My mother interrupted my thoughts.

"What?"

"Didn't you hear me?"

"No."

"I said set the table for me please." I then nodded and went to the cabinets to grab plates. Slowly placing them on the table, I thought about the day he came. Jack! The man with the black hair, skinny and tall. That was his name, he knew her somehow.

"Mom, what happened to Jack?" I walked back to the kitchen area and grabbed forks and knives.

"Doctor Wilson?" My mother's hand twitched, I could tell I was making her nervous. "Your medicine was very strong, you were seeing things."

"What about evidence? Weren't there cameras?" I placed the forks and knives carefully on the wooden table.

"There was a loose wire connecting all the cameras in the hospital. It was down for three hours, including the time of your blow out." My mother then turned away from me and sighed.

"And you don't think that, that was meant to happen?"

"Can't you see that I am trying to be so caring and nice. Why can't you just be like other teens and forget about the whole thing? At least try to act like things are normal. I've tried to keep it in but you're putting so much pressure on me." Mom tried not to yell, but her voice kept cracking from holding back tears. "You're the center of attention; you're all over the news. The press asks me if I could ever look at you the same way again." Where was this lecture going? I looked at her with such a blank expression. "But, I don't I could answer that without lying." With her last comment, she barged out the room.

I looked down and thought about her words. Did she really feel that way towards me? I suddenly felt alone, the most important people in my life were floating away. How many days has it been since she was gone? Too many.

Trying to forget I opened the cabinet closest to the sink and grabbed a blue plastic bowl. After that a spoon, milk, and Frosted Flakes. I sat at the wooden square table and munched down on the crunchy cereal. My bones were weak and I began to feel extremely exhausted. How many drugs did they put inside of me?

My mind was pretty blank, just the way I like it. Actually that was a lie, I think about things all the time. Just in my situation would I wasn't an empty mind. Footsteps faintly approached slowly and became louder every step. Was my mother coming to apologies? My head lifted up to my father, my eyes widened in surprise. He was never home; it was always worked for him.

"Hello, Ryan." He managed to cough up awkwardly.

"Hi, George." I haven't called him dad in two years. George is a very emotionless man who never loved me.

"I see you made your mother upset." George reaches for the fridge and grabbed his Starbucks glass of cold coffee.

George has very light brown hair with brown eyes. A small scruffy beard was planted on his face, along with a few white hairs as well. His navy blue night robe was draped across his tall figure.

"Mom doesn't like cooking," I rolled my eyes and began munching loudly on my cereal. It became quiet again, that awkward silence that feels like forever; that is exactly what it was.

"Do you think they will find her?" I don't think I could ever say her name again. At this point I didn't think he would answer.

"Probably not, it's been-" George looked at his watch. "Three weeks."

"Why did you look at your watch?" I curiously watched him sit across from me and sigh.

"Because this is the longest conversation we've ever had." I swallowed hard and watch him take a sip of his coffee.

"How did my injuries heal so fast?"

"They haven't, they said you're well enough to go home. But we will have to go back to check up on you."

"School?"

"We're hiring a teacher to come here and make sure you catch up with school." I leaned closer to him and raised my eyebrow. "Any more questions?" I sat back in my chair and sighed in disappointment.

"I love you too, Dad." I got out of my chair and walked back to my room, unable to look at him any longer.