I'm the chief, sorta

My name is Hiccup, this is Berk the home of my family since before they knew a Hiccup would change everything on Berk. My dragon, Toothless, is a nightfury. He's my best friend since I was fourteen. He's the Alpha dragon, of the flock of dragons on Berk. Which means, he's the king of dragons. Sweet, huh?

Me? Well I'm the first dragon rider, founder of the dragon academy, and...the chief of Berk...sorta. It can get a little stressful, trying to make sure we have enough food; taking care of everyday squabbles; and attackers. So, yeah, being chief is something I'd personally prefer not to be...honestly. But Dad wanted me to be, and it is my destiny since I was born so I'm (sigh) the chief.

"Hiccup!" Gobber runs to me in an awkward gait.

"Hey, Gobber, what can I do for you?"

"Oh, not so much what ye can do fer me, but what ye can do fer yer entire village!"

Uh-oh. Here we go again... "Gobber, I know it's a little crowded, and-"

"A little!?"

"Nothing we can't handle..."

"Ugh. I wasn't comin' to talk abou' tha' anyways. Around yer age, yer Dad had already saw reason and married yer mother!"

Oh, this again. "Gobber, I don't think Astrid's ready for that yet!"

"An' when do ye think she'll be?!"

"I don't know. But please don't rush us."

"Have ye even asked her!?!"

I don't answer, just rub my neck and smile.

Gobber walks away muttering about vikings these days.

Author's note: This is my first story. This is Mericcup, so I'm afraid Hicstrid will not be the romance for very long. But Astrid's nowhere near the bad guy. Her reason for not marrying Hiccup will be revealed in the next chapter. Merida will appear soon. Also, some characters from Race to the Edge will make an appearance. Hope this will be an enjoyable fanfic.