No Better Chieftess

(Hiccup's P.O.V.)

I had announced a mandatory gathering for everyone in the great hall. We were waiting for everyone to arrive. I stood at the head table, beside me was mom on my right and Astrid next to Mom.

On my left was Merida. Neither of us could look each other in the eye. Only the two of us knew what I was going to announce. I can't believe I actually took up on Merida's offer. 

I know I agreed to this to protect Berk, but a nagging part of my mind says I secretly wanted it. I do like Merida...a lot. But I don't want any chance with her to be because of this!

I can tell Merida's not crazy about the marriage alliance either.

"Chief?"

I looked up at Eret.

"We're all here now, Chief."

"Oh. Thank you, Eret."

I see everyone is here, and everyone's looking at me. Okay, keep cool. I can do this.

"Hey...uh, I'm sure you all are wondering why I called all of you here. Well....I have an announcement to make. After our last battle with the Grimmel, it has come to my attention that Berk is no longer safe. So...the only way to fix that.....is to leave."

Silence. Then a storm of yelling, protesting, and objecting.

"What!?"

"We can't leave Berk!"

"Where would we go!?!"

"Our parents' grandparents were born here! We can't leave now!"

"HEY!" A loud thump of an axe sounded. We all turn to look at Astrid.

"Let him speak."

"Thank you, Astrid." I hope she won't regret helping me when I reveal my entire plan...

"I believe Berk is not a rock island. I believe it's not even a thing. The people are Berk! As to where we're leaving, Queen Merida has offered us land in her country and a position as the fifth clan of the Highlands."

Oh man, the reactions that got!

Gobber spit out his drink on Alvin. Dagur fell off his seat in suprise. Heather stared at me, as she and Dagur's sons helped him up. The Wingmaidens looked very confused. And Berk....Berk was freaking out.

"Hear me out!" I say loudly. 

Everyone quieted, looking at me as if I had grown another head.

"I've seen the land of Merida's kingdom. It's vast and full of food. Merida has offered us a great gift."

"What does she get from it?!" Snotlout had to ask that.

"In order for this to work, we need to help Merida regain her throne. Before we came back to defend Berk, she was wrongfully dethroned. After, we help her, she and I will marry; sealing our alliance and securing New Berk."

I braced myself. Berk protested louder. Merida started backing away. I squeezed her hand to reassure her. She looked really scared.

BANG!

Astrid had slammed her axe into the table again. She stared down at everyone.

"You all could be more grateful! The chief, our chief, is making sacrifices to ensure Berk's survival. If this is what he thinks is best, I will stand beside him! And furthermore-"

Astrid walked around me and placed a hand on Merida's shoulder.

"I trust Merida. She fought for us. She fought Grimmel. She rides a lightfury who is our chief's nightfury's mate! She's brave and resourceful, there's no better chieftess you can ask for!"

Author's Note: So new chapter! And suprise! Astrid is Hiccup and Merida's biggest supporter on their marriage! Please tell me what you think of it! Please vote, comment, and share. Thank you! 🤗🤗🤗