Did I say something wrong?

Wow. This is just fascinating. I discover not only a new dragon species, but a new dragon rider we've never heard of. Just wow. Toothless is obviously smitten with her dragon. Awww.

I turn my attention back to the red-head. We stare at each other for a minute. Then we realize we're staring, and look away simultaneously. "Soo, what's you're name, uh-I mean what's you and your dragon's...uh, names?" I smile sheepishly.

The girl hesitates for a second, glancing at her lightfury. "I'm Merida." She finally says, extending her hand. I take it, and shake it. "My dragon's Whisp."

"And I'm Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third, Chief of Berk." I laugh, hoping she won't be intimidated at me being "Viking Royalty." She wasn't. Merida let go of my hand as if it burned hers. She stared at me in a mixture of horror and anger. "What's wrong? Did I say something wrong?" Why did she just change her attitude, suddenly?

Merida slowly backs away from me. She never took her gaze off me, though. She unsheathed her sword. Toothless notices, and growls. Whisp bounds to stand by Merida. Toothless whimpers after her. Whisp ignores Toothless however, wrapping her tail around Merida and baring her teeth at me.

"Stay back, Viking!" Merida threatens brandishing her sword. What? She's definitly not a viking but what does she have against us?

"What? Whoa, whoa, I'm not going to hurt you, Merida, I promise." I try to sooth her.

"Oh ye most certainly won't, Viking! 'Cause I'm not letting ya!" She jumps onto Whisp and they swoop up into the air!

"Wait!" I mount Toothless and chase after them. Surely this was all a big misunderstanding! We manage to catch up. Even though Merida and Whisp are formiddable, me and Toothless have way better experience. Merida stands to face us, almost neck and neck. She shoots out her leg, and kicks me clean off Toothless! "Toothless!" Me and Toothless plummet. I undo my flight suit, to stay aloft. Before Toothless is able to gain his balance, a pair of white hind claws snatch him.

Then another pair grab my shoulders! It seems Merida had ordered Whisp to catch me and Toothless. We all land back on the island we met. "Ye idiot!" She hollers. "Ye, stupid, stupid, idiot!" She smacks the back of my head.

"Oww." That really hurt.

"Ye Vikings are truly a bloody lot! How could you maim your dragon!?" She pointed accusingly at his fake tail.

"I..."

"It's bad enough you use them as weapons to conquer others, but you take their freedom away in such a callous way!?" Her face was growing red. I have no idea what exactly she's talking about, but I know she may be a potential ally for Berk, if I convince her we're not the enemy...

Author's note: So cliffhangerish, I guess. I am sorry for the wait and that it's not the longest chapter. I hope you enjoy it all the same. Thanks. Comments, votes, criticism, and such always appreciated and welcomed.

🗡💘🏹