Where the light meets the night

I pull myself up halfway. Those blasted Whisps are so fickle! One minute they lead you to your best friend, next they lead you to your first air battle! I turn my head at the sound of a male voice. "Hey, are you okay?" The speaker was a tall figure dressed in black armor. His whole body was armored except his face. Still he looked like a half-man, half-beast creature.

I snatch from the ground one of my fallen arrows. I notch it and fire! The black-armored lad cried out in suprise. He enflamed the sword he wielded, and sliced my arrow in midair. His black dragon, who looked similar to Whisp, growled at me.

The lad was advancing too fast and too close for me to fire another arrow. I threw my bow down and unsheathed my sword. Mine may not flame up, but it's steel is strong and blade is both sharp and broad.

I give a battle cry and lunge at my mysterious foe. We clash steel upon flaming steel. The lad was trying to say something, but this is not a time to listen; not when my life and Whisp's may hang in the balance.

The boy is a good fighter; I'll give him that. But he seemed distracted and restrained. I however am not! I kick him down swatting his sword away. I prepare to give him a good stab.

The lad's dark dragon knocked me away from him. I was trapped beneath the dragon, flat on my back. He roared at me staring with his sharp green eyes. I had a flashback to the night my mum killed Mor'du. I was also flat on the ground with the monstrous bear over me, jaws wide open and frothing, ready to deliver a kill bite. I scream both from the horror of the dragon and the traumatic flashback.

Before the dark dragon could do anything, a white streak pounced him away from me. Whisp! She wrestled withthe black beast. I laid on the ground. I couldn't believe what almost happened...again.

"Hey, uh- I think we got off on the wrong foot..." The rider of the dragon slowly approached me. His helmet was removed completely, exposing his auburn locks. He held his blade that was no longer on fire and mine. He set both our weapons on the ground. I start breathing more heavily. He smiled gently. He held out his hand.

Should I take his hand? Can I risk trusting him? "I'm not going to hurt you." He said in such a soothing voice. I look him in the eye. His face looked so sincere and honest. I took his hand. He helped me up. "Oh, do you mind calling off your dragon, she seems a little mad at Toothless?" He gestured to our dragons brawling on the ground ten feet away.

My dragon looked mad, but his dragon seemed to be cooing and crooning, almost pleading with Whisp. Weird... I take out my whistle and signal Whisp to stop. She reluctantly backs away, to my side. The black dragon, named Toothless I believe, goes back to his rider's side. The dragon growls at me. Whisp wraps her tail around me and growls back at Toothless baring her teeth.

"I'm sorry we chased you. We didn't mean any harm." The black-armored lad apologized. I arch an eyebrow.

"We've never seen another nightfury...well, in this case, a bright..."

"She's a lightfury." I narrow my eyes.

"Yeah, that sounds a lot better." He smiles a goofy grin. I can't help returning it. I noticed his eyes. They were a lovely forest green. With little flecks of brown. His dragon also had green eyes. I giggle. Whisp had bright blue eyes the shade of a will 'o the whisp. I myself had bright sky blue eyes. We shared similarities with our dragons. I pointed this out to the lad.

"That is funny." He laughed.

He has a nice dragon...I wonder if there are even more....