Chapter 9

Uncle Sylvester carried both me and Lucius all the way through the colourless halls of the Argent Estate. Once we reached the inner halls of the estate, we headed towards Claude D'Argent's office. As soon as we arrived outside of the office door's Sylvester Frinton set me and Lucius down.

The maids opened the door to inform the Archduke of our arrival. And not a moment later the doors opened.

I fake another smile as I walk into the room, "Alfred, uncle! Did you call for me?" I say as I lunge into a hug with Alfred.

"Ah, Mireille, Earl Frinton. Please sit down." Claude D'Argent said as he gestured towards a few other seats.

"C'mon Lucius sit beside me!" I beckon, patting the chair. Immediately noticing my change in attitude Lucius goes into kid mode as well.

"'kay!" He grins, sliding in to the seat next to mine. And all I can see after that is Aunt Evelyn freaking out in the corner as elegantly possible. I'm sure she had a rough time before we came.

"Archduke Argent." Sylvester Frinton greeted. "As I stated before in my letter, Evelyn and I would like to take Alfred and Mireille under the custody of the Frinton House."

"I'm afraid I can't do that."

"Will you be able to take care of them properly? I'm sure the late Cordelia and Cedric would think that taking care of their children would be too much of a burden for you."

Translation for the Commoners: Cordelia and Cedric don't want you with their kids. We'll take them.

"Regardless of how busy I am, I assure you that these children will be well taken care of. They'll receive the best of the best."

More Peasant Translation: Frankly, I don't care what they think. Perhaps I'll warp these kids, make them bend at my fingers, they'll be useful in the future as long as I nurture them correctly.

Andddd... The two pretty much went at it for about an hour with little to no intervention from me, Alfred, or Aunt Evelyn. No seriously. Why did you even call us here? Lucius on the other hand wasn't quite so entertained by the grown-ups squabbling for once. In fact, the brat looked tired of it for once.

I on the other hand, was feeling rather sick again. Maybe it was the dusty papers and bookshelves. But I hadn't felt this sick since when I was first reborn. Not gonna lie, I was a pretty weak-ass baby. I only became decently healthy after I turned two.

Anywho... The two continued to argue which intensified my headache, but like, who's died from a headache before? So I just let them keep at it.

"Earl, the children are of the Argent family, I couldn't bare to let the Ventus or the Frinton family bear the burden of sheltering them."

"They are also of Ventus blood. Since I've been wed to Evelyn, I, as her husband should step up and care for her family in addition to my own. The two children are family to me as well."

"But I'm sure you have your hands full running your own business as well, Earl." The Archduke smiles, looking tired.

I've realized that after a while the two nobles have become more and more sharp with their words. Becoming less aristocratish and more threatening I suppose? But rather than focusing on their conversation I could practically feel some sort of unknown force knocking away at my head and pressuring my chest.

I turn my head to look at Al and his face shriveled up with worry. "Mireille? Are you alright?" He whispered.

"Of course, what are you- guh-!" And that was it. My vision was stained crimson. A warm red liquid ran off the hem of my skirt, dripping onto the floor.