Chapter 15

**Another Four Years Later**

I, Mireille D'Argent have officially been in this world for just over twelve years. Here comes the start of my demise. You see children can enter the academy at anytime between ages twelve and eighteen. Although most join at twelve, it's not uncommon for people to join the academy at 12+, seeing transfer students in the middle of the year is rare though.

Although I've just been referring to it as "the academy" the entire time, the actual name of the school is actually Aizen Militia Academy. There's actually a number of reasons that people actually send their children to the academy.

1. The Academy provides a certain amount of political neutrality for nobility while enrolled in the academy.

2. Connection making with those outside of the kingdom, in addition to humans there are also many non-human races like beastmen, and elves attending the academy. Generally speaking befriending an important figure in a non-human society is a plus for a noble child, 'cause of all the stuff the adults could get from it. Y'know allies in war, stuff like that.

3. Magic Advancement at the academy is the quickest anyone has ever been due to the many significant experiments and discoveries made by students at the academy. I wouldn't say that it's advancing as fast as technology in the 21st century, but you get the idea don't you? It makes the academy the optimal place for magical studies.

Well those are the main reasons I guess. The academy actually has a bunch of programs in addition to magic ones, like swordsmanship and programs that are geared towards non-humans. Mainly because non-humans generally have a higher chance of passing the exam due to their naturally higher magical ability. That doesn't mean humans can't get in though. After all, children from the five pillar families in Lysithea usually place in the top 5 for exam day.

There's also different exams for whatever field you want to enter, if you have innate magic, want to study wizardry, magus craft, or swordsmanship, you'll have to take different exams. Each applicant has to take both a written and practical exam, both are weighted 50:50. Of course, that's only if you're initial application is accepted.

You see you have to send in an application, which is later weeded out by the staff their and they choose the top 200 kids from each department to participate in the actual exam. Of course, after the first year you take, students are allowed to enroll in multiple departments as long as they pass some extra tests.

My point is that Claude D'Argent sent out my application without my knowledge and I passed. So much for ditching the academy... And! What! Is! Worse! Is!! HE'S USING AL AS ANOTHER THREAT TO PUSH ME INTO PASSING THE EXAM!!

He used his sugar-coated words like all nobles do and threatened me. Little shit.

"My... Mireille there are many who can only dream of having their application to the academy accepted yet... Yet you say that you aren't as bright as Alfred, Emil and the twins and won't be able to get in. If you're unable to get in... I should really check the other children's grades they may not be maintaining grades sufficient to stay in the academy..."

Commoner Translation: So if your 'stupid', but Alfred is actually dumber than you... That means Alfred is totally failing all his classes right about now, and will be forcibly dropped from the academy through my power.

I sigh at the thought of that man's words. I couldn't think of anything to refute his words and could only agree to "try." Aka, I'm going to get first in the exams like he wants. But if I have to go to the academy I'm going to protect Al from Marie fucking Fylan. Screw Emil, and all the other targets but just the thought of my own brother going ga-ga for the scheming bitch makes me shiver.

I wait in the giant crowd with the rest of the applicants to be let into the examination hall. When we're finally let in, we're all separated by the department we're trying for. Each applicant stood upon the marble floors of the exam hall when a voicing boomed in each of out heads.

"Dear treasured applicants, I'm Roy Aizen, the founder and headmaster of this academy, it is a pleasure to meet you."

Confused looks immediately cross a lot of peoples faces in the innate magic section. I have to ask, have none of these kids used telepathy spells before? Aren't they pretty average?

"Dear treasured applicants, for this examination you will be transferred to a spatial void field to battle other applicants! Your goal? To obtain at least nine other badges!

You may obtain badges by using any method you please, including forcibly stealing badges! Another way to obtain badges would be to inflict physical damage among other opponents, after a certain amount of injuries are attained the applicant will be transferred out of the spatial void field and the badge will be transferred to the one who dealt the final hit to said person.

Worry not! All physical injuries will not be reflected into the real world! Please note that after obtaining all your badges it will be necessary to defend your self while finding the exit to the spatial void field! Now, there may be some extra rules for you're specific department, please carefully read the parchment you will receive upon arriving in the spatial void field!

This type of exam will be used quite a lot during you're potential time at the academy. Best of luck my dear applicants, the older students call this type of exam magical warfare."

I can feel my body fall slightly, similar to the slight fall you feel during an abrupt stop in a elevator. Suddenly I'm no longer in the exam hall, but in a vast field of verdant greenery. As told, a piece of parchment is before me, I grab it and begin reading. There's not much extra, just that I'm restricted to using only innate magic, no magus craft, wizardry or swordsmanship, use of arcane magic is allowed.

I smile as a the last part. I drop the parchment and it quickly withers into tiny dust particles. I promptly release and circulate my mana to feel for anyone who specializes in fire or wind magic. None. I curve lips slightly as a quickly begin formulating my spells composition.

500 meter radius, eleven students within range. "Burn, inferno." I here some shrieks and chilling screams as the world around me becomes nothing but a massive pillar of flame. I count the badges that appear on my chest one by one, as soon as I hit twelve badges I cancel the spell. Standing in a small disc of green surrounded by residual ash left by the poor plants, I circulate my mana around the spatial field again.

Found it. The exit was in the lake.

-BOOM-

Lightning dances across the sky, following the loud beat of thunder. Storm summoning. It wasn't an arcane magic, but it was definitely rare. I dash for the lake to avoid any fights and clear the entrance by manipulating the water. I jump right in and find myself in a different white room, similar to the exam hall from before.

I stare at some ladies across the room, they're chatting away as I stand there. I walk over to them. I take out my documents and hand them over.

"Ahem..." I cough. "Hello."

They all resume their posts when I announce my presence, clearly flustered. One of the ladies quickly process my paper using this world's technology. Not quite like earth's but it works.

After the lady is done, she directs me into the written exam hall. I smile politely and curtsy as I thank her.

Multiple chapters 'cuz I wrote a lot this week? Plus the academy arc finally started :)